clare*

Home made pasta

Ok, I need a little bit of help here as well :roll:

I have made 2 batches of pasta this week. One with plain flour the other with 00 flour.

I have hand rolled both a thin as I could. But both lots were like chewing a bit of old carpet :x

I spent last night reading though all the other pasta comments from ages ago on the forum. Everyone else seems to making fab pasta. Why oh why is my pasta tough as old boots :!:

:shock:

Yes I am hand rolling. I've just been to Tesco and looked at a bag of fresh pasta. Maybe I am not rolling it out thin enough :?

I know your not meant to cook it for very long. Could over cooking toughen it up.

Oh I don't know. All I do know is what with shaking the butter in the jar,making the bread by hand and rolling the pasta. MY ARMS ARE KILLING ME :x

I will get the Argos book out and look for a cheap machine to try.

Ginette, I'm with you :roll: I aspire to doing all these wonderful things, and go a certain way to home-grown, home-made, environmentally sound, but there's just only so many hours in the day, so for me if it's a choice between Sainsburys ready made organic pasta, or however long knocking my home-made version, and spending time with my children or chickens (or on the forum :oops: ) then that's a fairly easy compromise for me. Ditto with the butter-making :oops::roll:

I do prepare all my meals from fresh ingredients though, and the breadmaker takes care of the weekends bread. So, a compromise between aspiration and achievable. Maybe one day I'll have more time, and start butter-making, but not right now :wink:

Oh, and I'm great at the wine pouring as advocated by Red, 2 glasses of that and I don't care who makes my butter :roll:

Relieved! KateA. You put it so well and it echoes entirely my feelings. If only I had a bigger kitchen. Then I could have a bread-maker. I make my own yoghurt (in an electric maker) because that's really easy and not at all time-consuming.

My dream is to have a big farmhouse kitchen with a long table in the middle where people can sit drinking cups of tea and coffee, chatting to me while I cook. It's not going to happen in the foreseeable future :(

Ginette, I'm with you :roll: I aspire to doing all these wonderful things, and go a certain way to home-grown, home-made, environmentally sound, but there's just only so many hours in the day, so for me if it's a choice between Sainsburys ready made organic pasta, or however long knocking my home-made version, and spending time with my children or chickens (or on the forum :oops: ) then that's a fairly easy compromise for me.

For me, this all comes down to guilt. Guilt that I've never been able to run around with my boys, playing football, going for walks, stuck at home on crutches for all of their early years and guilt that my LSH goes out working long hours while I stay at home doing what I want. I put all my efforts into giving them good home produced food and as much homegrown fruit and veg as I can because I can't do all those other things that they want me to do. Don't let me make you feel inadequate. You all make me feel very inadequate too.

Oh, Kate, I feel bad now. I feel like I'm not trying as hard as some of you, especially you and Lesley who both seem to have the Domestic Goddess thing sewn up (move over Nigella :) ), and I wish I could be as keen and effective in the kitchen and garden as both of you seem to be. But it's all down to abilities, interests and compromises.

Don't go and let me down by feeling all inadequate..... you're my hero :wink: