Guest ferdinand

Cleaning the run area

I have bought a eglu/rablu....i am having trouble working out how to clean the run area, without having to crawl on my hands and knees to get in......

My rabbits live on my patio most of the time, as they dig, and i find putting mesh on the grass makes a mess. However, they kick a lot of the bedding from the rablu out into the run, and it is nearon impossible to clean without running the risk of my child locking me in the run!!

I am surprised that there isnt another way of parting the run from the eglu without having to take it all apart to unscrew it.

This would make it easier to move too.......as atm i cant possibly move it on my own, and cant leave the rabbits in there to move it, as i would have to take the lid off and unscrew it to get it all apart???

I dont mean to be a moaner on my first ever posting here, but i have to say im not as pleased with it as i thought i would be, especially for the money.... :?

There is a little video on the web site somewhere showing you how to move the run and unit together with one person by grasping the skirt by the door which is how I clean up after my chickens I swing it to one side clean up etc and then swing it back it is very easy and I have to do it myself so it is possible - honest :shock:

Once you get used to it you will love it :D

How does everyone else clean out the run for their rabbit Eglu or the chicken one for that matter.

I've just had an enquiry from the lady who posted this query and suggested either lifting the run to sweep underneath it or popping a broom through the opening of the run to sweep the contents out but does anyone have any better ways of cleaning out the run?

the only trouble is, mine are on the patio and i dont really want bark on there?....im racking my brains thinking of a way, cos i really it to be as easy as it seems on the video!!......if only rabbits didnt dig!!!

:roll:

I don't even shoo the girls in to do it they kind of walk along but that is bacause they get to eat grass for the time I am cleaning up.

I have a layer of bark in the run at the moment to keep the mud down for the winter but in the summer they get moved round the garden once a week to keep the grass trimmed :lol:

Keep trying the technique on the video it is okay once you get the hang of it :wink:

If your bunnies dig Ferdinand, then put some mesh on the bottom of the run. Girl bunnies do tend to be diggers, some more thaan others. I mentioned this to the lads at Omlet, and I think that there is a mesh base being designed. But you could make your own out of welded mesh - the really strong one with square holes. Chicken wire is no good; it's too flimsy.