keyhole kate

New beekeeper update

Apologies bit of a long story

Some may remember I was asked to take on my cousins hive when she passed away sadly she did so in Aug 2013 a friend of hers had been helping looking after it up till then on her last inspection her bees had swarmed so they tried to re queen sadly this came too late and the hive was empty when I took it over.

I have brought it home and intend to start afresh my question is should I just burn all the old frames and start with a completely new fresh ones some of the old frames have quite a lot of drawn comb ? I have done the beginners course but not having been hands on since feel a bit apprehensive I am going to volunteer on teas and coffees at this years beg course so as to refresh my memory but any advice would be appreciated from you guys.

Edited by Guest

I presume the hive just died out with no queen but they would have had stores and most probably been robbed out by who knows what bees.

I would burn the frames and start afresh

Thornes have their sale on just now and "seconds" frames are to be had quite cheaply though foundation is their normal price.

I assume you will be getting a nuc of bees so they will come in their own transport box on five frames. These you will have to transfer to your box but put only one frame of foundation each side of the new colony till that is drawn then add more.........so......you will need an insulated dummy board which you can easily make by cutting a piece of kingspan to size so that it blocks off the frames snugly. Any dead space the other side is of no consequence as it will not form part of the hive. DO NOT feed if there is a flow on or it will swarm!

Don't forget to s"Ooops, word censored!"e any old wax and propolis off your floor, box and cover board and give it a quick scorch with a blow lamp.

Good luck......wonderful hobby.....better than chickens....perhaps. :)

Thanks OSH

Yes they just died out some of the frames didn't look to bad and there is still stores and drawn comb but I was worried that they may carry disease ?

My cousins friend has said she will give me a queen and colony if hers survive :pray: the mid bucks beekeepers I did the course with have a woodworking day making up frames with new foundation which I think you can buy :think:

I will definitely join a association it's just a pity the mid bucks that I did the course with are for me a 34 mile round trip and so really need to find a more local one in Herts.

I think I might try a bait box nothing to lose after all, would I need to have a second hive just in case or would a nuc box suffice ? blimey getting ahead of myself lol

Thanks for your help I am really keen to get going but still a bit nervous as I wasn't able to be hands on after finishing the course as the hive was being looked after by an experienced beekeeper I didn't want to interfere.

There are some second hand hives for sale at the association I might enquire and will try to find some lemon grass oil can't say as I have seen it for sale anywhere though :think: going off to my allotment to have another look at those frames :D many thanks x

OSH You have been such a help

I know my cousins friend Karen who has offered me a colony would help me and keep me on track if I asked her to but I am conscious that she has a FT job as well as her own hives, dog and a busy life not to mention she lives is at least ten miles away but from research I have found there is a division of the Herts Beekeeper fairly close I have emailed them regarding membership hopefully they may be able to help with a mentor.

I have made contact with a local association and joined they have kindly found me a mentor as well as a space at a very close to home out apiary, new frames and foundation arrived today ( another box in the hallway ) I have made enquiries about nucs and a possible colony that may be for sale.

DH bought me the beekeeping for dummies for my birthday which is brilliant so all in all I am feeling much more organised and less nervous :roll: So can't wait to get started :D

Just a bit of an update :D I met up with my mentor at the out apiary on Sunday to check his hives wow lots of bees fizzing and popping in and out with pollen he has two hives plus there are another two hives owned by a lady who has decided to give up I have expressed an interest in taking them over :D they were also in good shape all four need supers on them ASAP it's all very exciting 8)