LunaKiw1

Suspected peritonitis

Goldie is 3 year old hybrid. She's not laid since last summer. Recently she has been waddling like a duck and often , even when out free-ranging, she just stands still for long periods looking very hunched and fluffed up. She's not terribly interested in food and her bum has been very mucky. We're just worming her with Flubenvet again but to be honest i am suspecting sterile peritonitis. do you think this could be right? If so we will take her to the vet. We have lost 2 previous hens some years ago to peritonitis although they had started laying lots of lashes as well as generally looking poorly.

Thanks Egluntyne. OH felt her tummy today and he said it was really hard - we were expecting it to be full of liquid and squishy so that was a surprise. Does that match the peritonities diagnosis or indicate something else? We plan to take her to the vet's tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your poorly girl Goldie, sadly it sounds like peritonitis to me too, so a trip to the vets is a must in my experience of this condition. They really don't get better I've found, so the kindest thing is usually to say goodbye :(

The hardness of her abdomen probably means its full of fluid.

Got an appointment for her at the vet's at 0900 tomorrow morning (Thurs) - I suspect we may not be bringing her home. We'll have to then get a couple of new girls as Daisy wil be on her own. That will be our first experience of introducing newbies but have read so many posts on here I at least know what to expect and some good ideas to help manage it.

I lost Lottie to peritonitis a couple of weeks ago. Charlie was left on her own. She was frantic the first couple of days, nervous, pacing and constantly looking for her friend. She also didn't eat or come out of the hen house for 2 days once she couldn't find her. Lots of advice said keep her routine the same, which was spot on and she is now absolutely fine on her own. She's even started laying again the past few days and she's back to her old self again. I will get some more girls soon but it's not such the rush now as when she wasn't coping alone.

As we suspected the vet felt it was kindest to leave Goldie to be PTS - said she must have been feeling very uncomfortable. so, RIP Goldie. Although this may seem very unfeeling we stopped off at our local Activity Farm which also sells POL hens and collected two Warrens. They look very like Goldie so hopefully Daisy, a Speckledy, might identify a bit more easily with them. It's a lovely day so at the moment Daisy is free-ranging (but within Omlet netting) with her Grub and Glug attached to the outside of the WIR and the new girls are inside the Omlet WIR with separate food. We will put some dividing netting up inside the WIR shortly when Daisy needs to go back inside and then will let the newbies go to bed in the Eglu tonight before stuffing Daisy inside when she's too sleepy to get wound up. So far Daisy has pottered around the outside of the IR and not paid much attention to her new sisters ......