Willow

Claimfast - has anyone used them?

My car was hit by a truck when it parked outside the garage whilst being serviced. Garage got all the details, clearly truck drivers fault etc. we get our insurance through the AA so I rang them first. They passed me to a company called Claimfast to handle the claim but I'm not very comfortable with them. I got two letters yesterday one a car hire agreement and one a credit agreement but nothing on my car and whether it's economically repairable (not much damage but old basic car with highish mileage). I rang Claimfast to ask about my car and the lass on the other end of the phone described them as a credit hire company :shock:

Has anyone else used them? Am I right to feel uneasy ?

Edited by Guest

I can't speak for Claimfast, but - these days - most insurance companies seen to pass any accident handling onto separate claims management companies. The car hire agreement I could understand if yours isn't drivable, can't think why there would be a credit agreement, though? The next thing you'll probably get is calls from personal injury claims companies, etc, (even if no injury was reported). This seems to happen even if you specifically tell your insurers that you don't want your details passed on and is really annoying...

The car hire is replacement car whilst ours is being repaired, since I have no guarantees it won't go over a day I would like a replacement car but in the past when I had an accident the body repair people provided one.

Unfortunately the truck managed to get drivers side wing, just s"Ooops, word censored!"e the bonnet, headlight and bumper and at least 2 bolts holding the bumper on have been sheared off. So car is safe to drive and bonnet won't fall off but garage warned if the bonnet gets hit again it will probably then fall off.

I expect that AA sold you legal expenses/uninsured loss recovery with your policy. Usually about £10-£15. Claimfast would be this company and the AA will be getting lots of kickbacks from them by passing you on to them.

It is all a money making exercise for the insurance industry (I work in it)

The way it should work is this:

The AA should deal with your repairs and usually the garage will give you a courtesy car. End of story, everyone happy.

The third party insurers should deal with any uninsured losses (your excess etc) and they will sort out a hire car if needed

What seems to be happening is that Claimfast have been asked to deal with the uninsured loss side, thereby making themselves, the AA and the hire industry lots of money in the process. As you can tell I don't like this as it only puts premiums up.

I would go back to the AA and ask them the name of the third party insurers so that you can speak to them direct. Most "at fault" Insurers will be happy to sort out your repairs and a courtesy car as this is much cheaper for them

Blimey it took an hour to cancel the Claimfast process and at one point they were trying to tell me I'd have to pay for the garage estimate :shock: The also insisted that if I didn't go through them I'd have to pay my excess to the garage for repair then claim it back from the third party. This turns out not to be the case, my insurer just said the excess would be suspended in this case. Very annoyed at what I regard as sharp practice on the part of Claimfast :evil:

I will be raising a complaint with the AA's customer service about that

Thanks Chickendoodle, I was already uneasy and after the lies when I cancelled I'm glad I won't be dealing with them. The experience has put me off the AA some as well.

Now I just need to get my car sorted, fortunately it is perfectly driveable in the meantime.

Can't remember who I used to ask for advice before this form :lol:

My car was hit by another vehicle whilst in the local supermarket car park. I had a witness and he made the other driver wait until we emerged from the supermarket. Details swapped etc no problem. 

I informed my insurers, saga (by name & by nature!) by phone and their agent, though lengthy, was very good. After this the agent asked me if I'd like to get the car repaired and claim back the costs from saga, or go through claimfast who'd handle everything. She said most people go the claimfast route. OK, I said. 

Hire car arranged and my Car collected and repaired, during which time I received 14 letters from saga but mostly from claimfast. Intimidatory letters almost every one! One letter even stated I was responsible for the accident and costs of repair and hire charges. The hire car agreement from enterprise was mine also, it was arranged by saga but claimfast started telling me I was resp for paying it. The steer group of corby were good repairers and friendly, rang me with updates. 

Still getting nasty letters from claimfast telling me they were having problems with the other drivers insurers and how therefore I'd have to help out etc etc. 

Finally a letter from them on the 23rd March this year stating I need to call them to discuss the state of the claim and that they are still waiting for the loan car contract to be paid for by the other party. 

I ignored this further intimidation from them and have today been told the claim is now settled. 

I did unfortunately take up saga's deal for 2 years cover at a fixed price, but am regretting it very much!

I'll definitely move my insurance cover ASAP and it will not be with wither saga or AA as I understand they also use these corporate thugs. 

Mike