Chickabee

Good news after bad

My colony died, after the queen died and the workers didn't produce a new one. It was too late for me to buy a new one.

However, I got up this morning to find a very busy hive, a swarm has made it their new home. I do hope they get on well. How long before I check them. Should I let them settle for a few days. Think I need to replace some brood frames :?:D

Ooh, how exciting! I'd leave them for 24 hours and then give them a feed - sometimes they don't stay in the first place they settle, so no point feeding them till you know they're stopping!

I have a 'bait hive' up on the garage roof in case of swarms but never had one find it yet.

I am most envious :mrgreen:

My queen died and so did my bees during the winter (my mentor had given me a nucleus and leant me the kit to get started but sadly the queen failed). He has set me up with a nucleus that over wintered successfully. They are now in a nice new hive.

When I said I would return the hive from the dead bees he said to hang on to it just in case.......it's sat in the garden ....he also said after my crash course in swarm collection, I would be on his list to pick up a swarm in my area (but only an easy to reach one).