Janepie33

Crash course in Bee Keeping!

Sitting in the garden this afternoon, I was vaguely aware of an unusual sound. Looking up, I was rather alarmed to see a massive swarm of bees descending on my garden! :shock:

I rushed inside and closed all the windows and watched as the swarm came lower and lower and gradually moved into my neighbours garden and congregated on a plant pot and a hulahoop! :lol:

Having found contact details from the British Bee Keepers Association, I duly contacted someone who might take the bees away. Before they could come, 2 ladies in bee keeping attire arrived having spotted the swarm and were trying to locate it.

It was fascinating to watch them getting the bees into a box and seeing the drones walking in to follow their queen and hearing about scout bees and guard bees and understanding that the MASSIVE (or so I thought) swarm of 10 - 15 thousand was really quite small!

Next time I have honey on my toast I will be paying serious respect to the little creatures that made it!!

It's a truly amazing sight, isn't it - and an awful lot of beekeepers have never seen a swarm in flight, they have only seen them hanging on a bush or a branch so you can consider yourself lucky!

There have been a few swarms in my area this week. Including one of my hives :oops:

A wonderful sight.

They pour out of the hive like treacle and suddenly there are thousands of bees in the air. You can stand right in the middle of it all and remain ignored and unharmed. A little knot of bees will start forming somewhere nearby and gradually the flying subsides as all the bees congregate together. You can put your bare hand gently into a swarm and it feels like a warm furry animal :)