Princess Leia

I wonder why these never caught on...

I was told of this practice by a friend who had been getting advice from a real old timer. This chaps wife told my friend that "he was ever so cruel to his chickens". This was in the days before hot knife beak trimming and fast growing hybrids. The red glasses means their whole world is red. So they are not attracted to blood or combs. Worth noting that these were fitted to White Leghorns, which were originally a Mediterranean utility breed.

Officially I think sales in the uk are targeted at (I think) pheasants and the theory is that they restrict the vision straight ahead making it hard for the bird to focus and peck feathers

Certainly some of the old time poultry keepers I've spoken to have used them mainly with a valued breeding bird and legal or not ive seen them recommended for egg eaters. The old fashioned ones pierce the soft bit where the nostrils join but there are kinder ones that dont.