umbrella thursday

Advice needed please - call duck getting stuck on back

Hi there

We have five calls hatched at the beginning of June. Recently I have been finding the biggest drake on his back. He can't right himself and has to be flipped over. Today my eldest daughter found him in their pool on his back again he was really bedraggled and cold but we dried him off and he was running around happily with the others. Does anybody have any idea why this keeps happening. I am worried it will happen when we are out and he will die. It is always this one particular drake. He is pretty big for a call and much heavier than the others.

Thanks

Thank you chortle chook. I did wonder if it was because he is so big. He seems fine today. I don't feed them lots of treats really as they have free range of the garden. Lovely big slugs for them there. We are still new to ducks - have had hens for a long time, so I worry. The girls make a real racket too and I worry about the neighbours although they say they don't mind it. I will keep an eye on what the big drake (Justin!!!) eats.