tadros

watery poo...Clostridium perfringens?

Hi

I recently posted about 1 of my 2 hens who has watery poo (along with feather loss from her belly area & sore looking skin there) & I was kindly given a link to a poo guide with photos....her poo sometimes resembles that in the photo of "Clostridium perfringens" which can apparently be caused when you feed your hens s"Ooops, word censored!"s & old food (oops I've been doing that) or not having fresh water (I was filling their water from the water butt until recently as it looked clean enough). However other than her sore balding underneath & stopping laying, she appears healthy & happy.

I tried to research this condition so I can treat it but can find very little that is comprehensible, it all being very academic & scientific studies. Desperately hoping I can treat it easily before she deteriorates as these 2 hens are my childrens dearly loved pets.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

I don't know much about it , but it's an imbalance of gut bacteria - too much of the wrong sort! I think this is a common problem with chickens. Here's a link with some info and how to treat bacterial diarrhoea. http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/diarrhoea/index.aspx#diarrhoea_in_backyard_poultry

This info is bias to their own products, but I have found biostop to be very effective. I've not tried Beryl's bacteria, I give mine actimel instead! I've been on antibiotics for months so i already have a fridge full of it. It works anyway!

Thanks so much sandychick I will check out your link now. I've got acidophilus capsules in the fridge so I cut a couple of capsules open & mixed the powder with their feed this morning...hopefully it will help! Definitely no more kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s

I've currently got a chicken that has lost a heck of a lot of weight but still has an appetite. Very watery green poos.
We went to the vets who did several tests on the sample and couldn't see anything like Coccidia and noted only a few worm eggs. She recommended using some Flubenvet and also gave some medication to settle her gut, but we have seen no immediate change.

I've been doing hours of googling each day and I'm almost certain it s Clostridium.

I am talking with the vet later today, but have a feeling she might not have any ideas how to treat it.

Did Acidphilus work for you? How much did you give?