StephenW

Another eye query

Hi again guys,

I have a lavender pekin hen, one eye is what people would class fine for a pekin, orange eye with black pupil but the other is completly black. A few weeks ago it was partially black but now is completely black. Id say she is quieter than the othe hens but she seems to have eaten. DOes anyone know what this is or if it is something to be concerned about?

20150302_1840041.jpg

20150302_1839461.jpg

The blackness of the eye maybe hard to see in the photo because of the light

Many Thanks

Steve

The first photo is of a very abnormal eye Stephen, with the pupil being very badly defined. The second is more normal but swollen. I would suspect a neurological problem and my first thought was Mareks. You need expert help here so definitely a vet diagnosis.

Hi, after I lost a dearly loved pekin cockerel to suspected Marek's I was paranoid and did loads of research (worried re the rest of my flock!) I did find some photos of eye changes to the pupil and colour of the eye and these can be signs of the disease. I would take your pekin to your vet to be checked over.

Best wishes...keep us posted?

After looking across the web I concur with Beantree and mimi5. I actualy missed the misshapen pupil in picture 1 which is a classic sign of Mareks.

I would also add that if Mareks is suspected then a closed flock policy should be in place, i.e. don't add any new birds to your flock til after your current birds have gone and you have seriously cleaned and disinfected the housing and land.

They can't prescribe anything unfortunately StephenW. She will be PTS I think, but I suggest a blood test to confirm Mareks then you will know if your flock must be permanently closed, because the others will have it and be carriers even if they show no symptoms. Bring any new birds into the flock and they may well go the same way.

Hi guys, Just an update on the chicken situations.

The seller who sold my friend his hens has agreed to replace those affected birds so fair play to him.

I have to isolate my bird. So if I isolate this hen I cant show the rest of my birds?

Many Thanks

Steve

I would stay on the safe side and close your flock in the absence of a blood test confirmation of Mareks. Nothing in or out so no showing. If you infect the birds in the show cages either side you are going to be in a lot of trouble I expect and it's not very responsible behaviour anyway.

Hi guys,

Just giving you an update on the Mareks situation. After contacting a number of vets like a responsible chicken owner. I was asked to bring the hen in to one of them for a blood test. In the end they didn't carryout a blood test, they rang AFBI and a commercial broiler house. They got back to me says that most backyard poultry will be exposed to Mareks at some stage and some birds develop anti bodies. In regards to showing I contacted British Poultry Club who told me that I can still show birds who don't show signs and symptoms.

Steve

Guess this is why show birds are kept in isolation for two weeks afterwards StevenW. I read recently that there are two versions of Mareks, the original slow acting version and now a fast acting virus that results in death in three days. Apparently the new virus is a mutation of the old due to the use of vaccines. They expect there will be further mutation.

No its only the one bird that shows signs and symptoms. To be it sounds like a disease backyard poultry keepers can do little about and that includes the majority of forum users. From reading articles on the disease which were telling me to isolate the poorly hen from the rest I came to the conclusion that there was little point in isolating her because if one has it the rest have been exposed to it and the infection can remain in the ground for months anyway so taking her out isn't really beneficial. The reason I emailed the British Poultry Club was that I thought that surely there must be hundreds more poultry enthusiasts who show birds which have been exposed to Mareks but obviously don't show signs and symptoms so you cant tell. Another point is that very little fancy breeds will have been vaccinated anyway.

Steve