lsb

When new frames required?

Hi,

I have a Beehaus in the USA and Omlet will no longer sell the Beehaus or supplies in the USA, though I will be able to order from the UK. I can still order spare frames and wonder if anyone can tell me how often the actual frames need to be replaced. I had a hive this past year and unfortunately lost the queen so I need to begin again in April, but I do want to be sure I have enough frames to last awhile as shipping from the UK likely to be expensive, thanks!

Lisa

You should renew your frames every three years.

A good way of doing this is to replace a few every year, gradually working old frames towards the edge of the hive and then taking them away. The replacement frame of foundation should go next to but not in, the brood nest.

The frames are British Standard 14 x 12 for brood and Shallow for supers, nothing special about them. Mann Lake sell them here in the UK, you might ask to see if they can supply you.

Unfortunately not

LANGSTROTH

The measurements of the side bars vary depending on whether the frames are deep, medium, or shallow. Deep frames are 19 inches x 1-1/16 inches x 9-1/8 inches; medium frames are 19 inches x 1-1/16 inches x 6-1/4 inches; and shallow frames are 19 inches x 1-1/16 inches x 5-3/8 inches.

Are you happy with the way the Beehaus works?

You can run only the one colony in one half as you need the other half for artificial swarming so you are restricted to this one colony only. Two is much better as you have "spare" bees/queens (or the ability to make them) should a disaster happen.

If it was me..........I might advertise it for sale and somebody else with a Beehaus and skill to make frames might buy it then you can move on to poly Langs; a much better choice in my opinion.

Best of luck and let know how you get on

Thanks for the update. I talked to Mann Lake and they didn't think they had anything to work, but I will check it out again. I'll also work on the three year rule with swapping frames out. Hopefully, all will go well this year. New hive installed and seem to be OK so far-we'll see.

I do wonder-with the beehaus can you use a plastic bag filled with sugar syrup on top of the frames. The containers I'm using to disperse sugar syrup keep leaking, though I can't figure out why, argh.

Thanks again!