LilyintheValley

Advice regarding walk-in run please...

Hi all,

My current set up is this: I have a cube with a 2x2m walk-in run attached, which is inside a fenced off area of approx 35 sq m. My 7 girls have access to the whole area most of the time but I do lock them in the walk-in-run if there's no one in the house, and at night. I occasionally let them free-range the whole garden but it's enormous and when I let them out daily, they started laying their eggs in random places and I didn't realise until Pom Pom (my dog) found one and dropped it in front of me on the patio & it must have been weeks old - it was green & smelt horrendous. So most of the time they have their sheltered, reasonably secure 35 sq m enclosure and the 2x2m run for safety when I'm out.

Anyway... (stick with me, I'm getting to the point)...

I just tried to order a 2x2m extension to my run (which would double the area obv), with a Go Up attached and 3 new Miss Pepperpots. The Go Up would be a guest/ hospital wing for the new girls to settle into. Unfortunately it appears that the new runs stocked by Omlet are incompatible with the one I already have (even though it's less than 2 years old) so I can't extend it. I would have to get a whole new 4x2m walk-in run which would cost an extra £400 on top of what I was already spending...

Should I abandon the whole plan or are either of the following 2 options feasible?

1: Attach the Go Up to the existing run which would mean a couple of times a week for a few hours in the daytime, and every morning & night there would be 10 girls confined to a 2x2m run (albeit with the 2m extensions to the 2 coops attached).

2: Have the Go Up & small run (containing the 3 new girls) as a stand-alone item within the 35 sq m area.

I know I've gone on a bit but your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

How strange there are kits for joining the Go to walk in runs. Is your existing run a cube run rather than walk in? I'd still get it to fit. We've done all sorts of adaptations over the years.

You may find problems if they're in the 2m run for more than a short spell. What about if you had to go on holiday and leave them shut in :?

Hi Plum, thank you for replying :)

My run is the full size 2m x 2m walk-in run. I'd love to attach a photo but I've no idea how... I wanted a full 2x2m extension to the walk-in run to double the size but the extensions they sell now are incompatible with the old-style runs. Apparently. They look pretty similar n the photos but what do I know...

Holidays aren't a problem at present as my 21-year-old son lives with us and is very chicken-friendly. Also my in-laws have offered to house-sit if we ever need them to. The longest I leave them currently would be 6 hours or so but that's not very often.

I think it's very poor of Omlet to discontinue extensions for older models, effectively abandoning existing customers. At the very least they should have means of adapting what's on offer to fit.

It would be great if you could somehow link your existing 2x2 run to a new 2x2 via a passageway such as a cube run extension but I don't know if that's possible?

Actually, could you put two 2x2 runs next to each other, and create a doorway between the two using a mk1 go connector kit in your existing run and a mk2 go connector kit in a new 2x2? Then just clip the two together?

No idea, I sadly don't have a walk in run so just hazarding wild guesses as to how it might all work. Probably way off the mark!

Thank you Cindig, I must admit I was surprised & disappointed that Omlet have not provided some sort of adapter/ fixing to attach the new style run extension to the old style run. I say old, mine is less than 2 years. There is also nothing on the website to say that the run extension is incompatible with runs older than a few months. Very misleading. The 2 ladies I have spoken to have been very pleasant and apologetic though, although the first one did say the extra cost of replacing the entire run rather than just extending it would be minimal. I do not call £400 minimal.

Your ideas of linking the 2 runs are great and have provided me with plenty to think about but I don't think I have the room to do that. my chicken area is an elongated triangle so it's a bit of a jigsaw fitting everything in as it is...

Anyway, I have now ordered a Go Up with 2m run which stand separately from the walk-in run. I will have to save up to replace the walk-in with a new one twice the size & attach the Go Up to it then. It's a bit of a pain because I've just rat-proofed the entire thing floor of the run but never mind, I'll just have to do it all over again, I've plenty of mesh left over.

I think its a pretty poor show too - as I too have the Mk 1 run. The door bolts are terribly rusted and the new MK2 seems to have a much better and stronger door, this time with stainless steel bolts - so obviously something they knew about - but no - it apparently can't adapt to the new one. I don't need to extend currently but its very rough on someone who wants to. With a product which is by no means cheap its too prohibitive to start again and I think, unfair to all the MK1 owners.

Thank you for replying. I have thought about trying to cobble the 2 together but I'd be worried it wouldn't be secure enough against the nasties, and it's a lot of money to spend on something which might not work. And I agree, it is most unfair to us Mk1 owners.

I'll find a way round it somehow and report back :)

Hi there :D I recently bought and extra meter for my cube run as they were half price and I gathered that new style of extension wouldn't be compatible with mine which is only 3 years old!!!! Anyway that's my grumble over :( Omlet were always excellent in my experience previously, but I can't get anyone on the phone recently, poor show :(:(

Anyway, I wanted to make a suggestion. Have you considered trying to get a hold of an older style walk-in-run like your own? You can post an add on the "wanted" section of the forum and also check the "for sale" section, they do come up :D

Best wishes for you project :D Your girls sound to be very lucky indeed :wink:

Thank you for replying. I have thought about trying to cobble the 2 together but I'd be worried it wouldn't be secure enough against the nasties, and it's a lot of money to spend on something which might not work. And I agree, it is most unfair to us Mk1 owners.

I'll find a way round it somehow and report back :)

I have a (cube green) with 3mtr run attached the a fruit cage covered with meld mesh. I used cable ties to attach it. If you look at my flkr account in my signature you can Veiw it. I have quite a lot if images on there so I hope you can find it. :roll: the whole thing is quite secure so if all else fails cobbling them together may work. :wink: It's frustrating though.

Well! The plot thickens!!!

After several days worrying, feeling disgruntled, researching all possible options & alternatives, trawling Ebay & the marketplace board here, and finally submitting a very grumpy 1 star review yesterday for the Omlet walk-in run extension (which has't yet been published), I came across the MK1 extension still advertised under Chicken Keeping Spares on the main Omlet website. It is described as Out Of Stock - but expected back in stock shortly!

I rang Omlet & was told (by one of the girls who told me there was absolutely no way to extend a MK1 extension as it was discontinued) "Oh yes, they will be back in stock in a couple of weeks". Why the heck didn't they tell me this last week? So I've ordered it. :?