Mrs Webmuppet

Our first honey harvest

Nothing better than your own honey. Well done.

Save a jar for posterity.

I have a jar saved from every year.

None for me till August. We had wonderful dark Spring Tree honey last year that tasted of toffee as well as the Summer crop but this year all we've had is wind and rain. I'm having to feed a couple of the splits through the June Gap.

Well done again. :)

PS

Just as well Little Miss Webmuppet isn't at home otherwise she would be sitting there with a teaspoon sampling it, straight from the frames

Little Miss is right, it's the only way to eat honey, warm,on the comb, straight from the hive. I love to do that when I'm making cut comb.

I have got some unwired foundation to make cut comb....I plan to do a couple of frames on my strongest hive. But as I have had to split one hive and one appears to be in the process of supercedure it may have to wait. Plus my mentor and I moved my hives to a better location this evening so I now have to wait for them to settle in.

One amusing thing that happened whilst we were at the bees new home. We were setting up my spare hive and along came several honey bees.....definitely not mine, wrong colour. My mentor, stopped, peered at the bees, stood up looked around , sniffed the air, chuckled and said ' there's a swarm around here, wouldn't be surprised if they're checking out your spare hive'. :roll: 4 hives is quite sufficient (according to my creaky back)

:lol: I love the idea of a bee whisperer!

I went with a beekeeping friend to collect a swarm yesterday. We located it in the front garden of the property, I turned back to the car to pick up the nuc box and as I did so he said 'They're off!' and the swarm took flight. I've collected a good few swarms but only seen this happen once before - an amazing sight as the air filled with bees. We watched them go over the roof of the house opposite, so we went down an alleyway to find them settling in a hollow tree just behind it. Unfortunately I suspect someone will complain to the housing authority and ask for them to be destroyed as they are on a footpath and only a few feet from the ground. No swarm to take home, but it was an experience I wouldn't have missed for anything.

Having carefully moved our bees to a less cramped spot, I now find I have bees back in the garden....looks like scout bees are checking out the place. My mentor said I hope you have put a bait box out..otherwise you'll only have to go an retrieve them from a neighbours tree :lol: . Fortunately they went straight for my nuc box.

On the upside I extracted our first crop of honey today...nearly filled a 15lb bucket :D just need to strain it now :dance:

. Fortunately they went straight for my nuc box.

You have another swarm in your nuc box?

On the upside I extracted our first crop of honey today...nearly filled a 15lb bucket :D just need to strain it now :dance:

Don't strain it again. Once through a strainer as you empty the extractor is enough....and tastes better.........unless, of course you are showing it then you will have to strain the living daylights out of it.

You can't beat your first honey :)

I had a swarm turn up in my garden last year and one turned up today (by the looks ofit) and moved into my nuc box. And whilst I was doing the watering a lady asked me to collect a swarm from her car port about 3 doors down on the other side of the road. So hopefully I have persuaded the bees in the car port (I will pop back in a bit to check)that the hive borrowed from my mentor was a far better choice than shopping trolley they had taken up residence in. :lol: my mentor was laughing so hard when I collected a spare hive off him he had to wipe his eyes.

I didn't strain the honey once it had been extracted so I'm trying to get it done now.

Having carefully moved our bees to a less cramped spot, I now find I have bees back in the garden....looks like scout bees are checking out the place. My mentor said I hope you have put a bait box out..otherwise you'll only have to go an retrieve them from a neighbours tree :lol: . Fortunately they went straight for my nuc box.

You think you finally have figured out that English language and then someone goes about and writes stuff like this! :eh::anxious::roll::lol:<--- the different stages of my confusion! :wink:

Don't worry I get confused by the English language.... I was brought up speaking English and French .....even now I get in a muddle between the languages (especially when tired or had a drink or two) . Added to that I also learnt German and Spanish. I got higher scores in foreign languages than English at school. :lol: