Couperwife

Jewellery making

I've just started to do this, on a sort of try it out and see if it works sort of thing. :D

I asked a nice lady in a shop that sells crystals to order me some crystals on strings (so I can put them on earrings) and got some findings (the little things that go in your ears) and actually managed to get some pretty reasonable looking earrings

I gave a pair of earrings with angelite beads on them to SIL for her birthday, and she was very impressed (either that, or she was just paying lip service :lol: )

anyway, I enjoyed it, and i will try and make some more. :D

I think I need a book to have a look at - or a magazine and get some ideas and some real instructions, anyone gos any suggestions

Hiya - don't mean to be rude but if you go to Hobbycraft's book section - there is a book called Jewellery making for dummies. It's really good! If you go Hobbycrafts website & click on projects - there are tons of jewellery making projects there too. Earrings are good to make & you can hook them onto a handmade card & have the card & gift in one. Or use one of those printable boxes that Martin provided us with. Great prezzies!!!

Look in charity shops for old strings of beads & pull them to pieces to re create something more up to date!

Have fun creating

Emma.x

Hiya - don't mean to be rude but

Emma.x

never even considered you being rude, :D thanks for the advice, I shall look next time im at my parents (we dont have a Hobby craft here :shock: )

will be calling in M & D's on Thursday on the way down to the Omlet get together at Blenheim :D

great idea about the card/earring/card thing, like it :lol:

I do quite a bit of jewellery making, except I've learnt the skills from my sisters who are much batter at it than me. Anyway I usually make necklaces and get my beads from a locl business called Yandles and sons in Martock-they don't have a website, but you can pick 'n' mix beads from there as they sell them loose.

I used to make jewellery, but I think it was probably different looking to your things, which sound lovely.

I went for the Hippy/Surfer cord necklaces with bits of shell,seaglass or polished stone hanging from them.

My reasonign being that because they were Hippy/Surfer in style they could get away with being a bit more rough & ready looking. :roll:

I got some really great jewellery making pliers (for the metal bits) from Ebay & generallt found Ebay to be a great source of all things for jewellery making :D

Looking forward to seeing some piccys!

I've been making jewellery for about 6 years or so now, mostly necklaces, earrings and bracelets for friends and family, but I have been known to do the occasional tiara. Most of the beads I get mail order from eBay or online bead shops, but I did go to a Bead Fair in Harrow, North London at the weekend and spent far more than I should have done. Car Boot sales are also a good place to find old strings of beads at a reasonable price that you can make into something else.

Anyway, there are now a number of bead magazines that you should be able to get from your local branch of Smiths. Bead and Button is good, although somewhat American and Bead Style also has some good projects that don't take too long.