mullethunter

Rubbishy bird food

At our old house we had a seed feeder, fat ball feeder and hanging bird table and used to feed sunflower hearts and dried meal worms and had tons of species come to them.

In our new house the previous owner had left half a bucket of bird food which is mostly wheat and millet with a few sunflower seeds, dried meal worms and pink pellets, so I thought I may as well use that up first (he also left peanuts so they're getting them too), but nothing seems to eat the wheat or millet so I've got loads on the table and under the feeder that I'm going to have to bin.

Do others get this too? It's annoying so I'm going to revert to sunflower hearts which are expensive but there's no wastage. Will I be OK to feed the other stuff to the chickens (only fresh feed not the left overs from on the table) as scratch?

I have had new seed in 2 feeders and all that has come is a robin. They have been full for ages, even the squirrel doesn't want to eat the seed.

When we first moved here 17 years ago we had hundreds of birds - robins, nuthatch, goldcrest, great tits, coal tits, blue tits, thrush, greenfinch, goldfinch and siskins, with the odd sparrow and starling. Now we get a lot of woodpigeons and a moody blue tit who bombs any little birds that come in :(

I don't know what has happened to the local bird population.

I used to buy something called High Energy No Mess and that always used to go down well.

Anything that falls to the ground was eaten by the wood pigeons and if it didn't get eaten grew into pretty wild flowers.

That's a bit rubbish luvachicken - I wonder if it's down to magpies or a bird of prey of some sort? Or has there been a change in land use near you?

I'll be surprised if we get such a variety here as we did at our old place but I'm hoping. So far we've had starlings, house sparrows, blue tits, Robbins, a coal tit, wood pigeons, collared doves, and this morning - my favourites - a flock of 9 long tailed tits :D Actually they're my joint favourites with bullfinches but I think we might be a bit too far from the wild places for them here.

We had a bullfinch once, the year of all that horrible snow 09/10, he came for a drink in my tiny waterfall when everything else was frozen. Never seen one since :(

Not much has changed where we are. I suppose a few trees have gone but there are still loads of trees around us.

I have seen a kite flying around but he doesn't come often.