skye

Wheaten marans chick - boy or girl?!

Hi all

Our Wyandotte bantam hatched one wheaten marans egg nearly three weeks ago now. The chick is beautiful and incredibly healthy!

Can anyone tell me if we have a boy or a girl here?

Thanks in advance.

image_3.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

I think it's a boy but the photo of the isn't close enough to tell for certain but if it were mine I call it a boy but hope for a girl. another week 10day will confirm it as the area around the ears and the comb will start to redden up in a boy some folk can tell from the tail but I can never tell with my lot

Thanks all for the replies! The comb is quite strong isn't it :whistle:

H/she seems to have doubled in size in the past few days! Growing lots more caramel feathers flecked with black. The comb has started to look a bit pinker rather than yellow as you suggested, SJP!

I will keep watching and hoping! :lol:

I think it's male - it looks very like the male wheaten maran chicks we hatched a couple of years ago. There are some pictures of them at different stages on the thread below.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=97157#p1289407

We did hatch a female wheaten maran as well but she was part of a different hatch and not in the pictures shown. She looked very different from yours - a different shaped body (boat shaped and not upright like her brothers) and her wing feathers were different.

I think it's male - it looks very like the male wheaten maran chicks we hatched a couple of years ago. There are some pictures of them at different stages on the thread below.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=97157#p1289407

We did hatch a female wheaten maran as well but she was part of a different hatch and not in the pictures shown. She looked very different from yours - a different shaped body (boat shaped and not upright like her brothers) and her wing feathers were different.

made the link accessable

Minnie&Moose,

Thanks so much for that link. You're right that our chick looks JUST like yours did in the pictures. We shall wait and see. My biggest worry at the moment is the reddening comb :roll:

I'm heartened by the strawberry blonde side feathers coming in, will wait another few days or a week and post some more pics...!

Thanks guys

Skye

Thanks sjp - I've no idea how to do that.

use the URL button just at the top of the text box 3rd in from the right either click it first then paste the link between the two http://paste link here click the gap between the brackets to put the cursor there if it isn't all ready or paste the link highlight then click the URL button