HarrisonFamily

Dog Barking Advice

Hi,

My lovely dog Cody approx 8 years old, he only barks occasionally during the day normally if a cat is near the garden.

At night we moved him from the kitchen to the downstairs hallway as he used to bark alot at cats \ foxes that I am sure used to dance at the back door just to tease him and he would bark and throw himself at the door (he is a medium sized cross breed),

However, now he barks when people talk outside the house...its not every night but when it does seem to happen it happens 3 or 4 times a night waking up everyone.

I know there are various anti bark collars and wonder if anyone has used one or has any advice, especially as my dog is a big baby and hates bangs, fireworks, thunder etc. I have used the compressed air can and that does work but I used it one night from my bed not realising my OH was still asleep and he jumped so much he nearly hit the ceiling :lol: .....

Assuming there is nothing medically wrong - we are using a plug in spray called pet remedy recommended by our vet. We have a cocker who has had a major operation for cancer and has become more anxious regarding noise and then barks. We've definitely noticed a difference and although you could say it's because she is feeling better she has a huge wound under her tummy and hasn't even had the stitches out yet.

Alternatively what about a radio left on low to mask outside noise?

We use a citronella spray collar on our dogue de Bordeaux. When he was about 18 months old he decided it was a good idea to wake us up every morning by barking at about 5.00. The spaniel would then join in howling. This went on until we got up. We tried getting up letting him out, feeding earlier etc but what ever we did he started barking again until we were up for the day. After months of early starts and desperation we bought the petsafe citronella collar. We put it on him when we went to bed and took if off as soon as we got up. It started working immediately. He hardly ever wears it now. I might put it on him if I remember. It got him out of the habit. I think also just putting the collar on but not switching it on after a while, fools them into thinking it would go off. Best money spent, it saved us all from being permanently tired!