Roksteddie

Bumpa bits - how long for?

I finally got to the bottom of why 2 chickens had been losing feathers at such an alarming rate. 2 of them had developed a feather pecking habit so we've fitted them with bumpa bits. It feels awful to see them clearly unhappy with them at first but they soon get used to it. My question is: how long should they stay on for? I know that Omlet recommends a maximum of 2 weeks but I'm wondering if that really is long enough to break the habit? I've read that people have kept theirs on pretty much long-term, only replacing them once they've worn through. Other people seem to think that a month is a more realistic length of time. Does anyone have any first-hand experience of bumpa bits?

I don't have experience of using them, but I was researching too and found that a couple of people said 3 weeks seemed to do the job.

I think they can wear down their beaks a little, but they'll grow back. As you say, others suggest a whole month.

Good luck with your hens!

Well I think I managed to get in really quickly as neither of the victims is particularly bald in one specific area, more a general thinning in the rump and back feathers. I've seen the culprits still make attempts at feather pecking but I think these have been unsuccessful. I'm really hoping that I can break their habit as I'd like them to go back to being completely 'natural' as they're struggling to peck at certain foods that the only one without a bumpa bit can. It seems unfair that she can pick up mealworms and bits of corn while the others really struggle to. But other than that they seem totally unfazed.

So it's been just over 2 weeks now and the main culprit still has the habit! Although she's not able to actually pluck any feathers, she keeps trying to. I fear it might be a while before she breaks the habit - if ever. Meanwhile both girls with the bits have top beaks which are getting noticeably longer. I guess that because the beaks are not coming into direct contact with the ground they're not being worn down in the usual manner. Might this become a problem in the near future?

Not really; you can either take the bits off and gently file back the overgrown beaks before replacing them, or wait until you eventually take them off altogether. Do be careful though - the quick on a beak is pretty long, so have some vet wound powder to hand to staunch the bleeding just in case.

Main culprit is still making attempts at feather picking in earnest and I've now witnessed her successfully pull out a few feathers! Should I move her to the next size up? The other culprit's beak has almost grown to a point where it will meet the end of the bumpa bit. Should she also be moved onto the next size up or should I now remove it altogether as she hasn't shown any signs of the habit in a while?

The bumpa bit did and still does extend beyond the beak, but the top beak of both girls has grown so that the distance between beak and bumpa bit has decreased noticeably. I think if left on indefinitely the beaks will continue to grow and eventually meet the bit. I will try and get a photo tomorrow (Saturday).