Millie-Annie

Weasels and stoats etc

I no longer have any chickens, but still like coming on here to catch up with you all and see if any of my 8 years of chicken keeping can help anyone. But having read the predator thread this morning, I am now whittling about weasels and stoats. How likely am I to have either in my garden? I don't live in the country, I have never ever seen one, no one has round here. I know I am just being paranoid, but the fear left from being stalked by that fox is never far away when it comes to my pets. Do I need to replace the mesh on my guinea pig hutch with finer mesh or am I, as I suspect just being silly?

I don’t think you need worry about either if your not in the country. I’ve seen a stoat here. I do live in the country and have a brook running through my garden. Had a baby duck taken once and a dying hen was helped on her way (both in stable). Never had a problem with them in omelet runs (only water rats)

I live on the edge of the 'green belt' and have done for 50 odd years and have only seem a stoat once in all that time running across the lane from the old council greenhouse site to the field opposite that's got to be 30 years ago at least never seen one in the gardens or heard of anyone loosing rabbits pigeons etc from a garden around here in that time. now a days any way it's harder for them to get into urban gardens with concrete gravel boards. as long as the hutches are fox proof that's the main thing