The Viking

Sick chicken

Hi guys just seeing if I can get some help as one of my Pekin bantams has started to act a bit weird.. she's jerking a bit like she's trying to push out an egg or poo and only leaves the best box to get a bit of food and water. I thought an egg might have been stuck but when I went to check on her there was an egg underneath her. I know it's not from any of my other hens as she's being very defensive towards them and pecks at me when I try to lift her. As IV only had them for around 9 months I'm not sure as to what it could be. Some help would be great cheers 

Not really sure what you mean by jerking, or what that could possibly be. But being defensive of a nest/eggs sounds a lot like your pekin is broody. When hens are broody, they will want to try and start hatch eggs and will defend their clutch to intruders. Which is also you.

If it was my chicken, I would chuck her of the nest and put her back in the run and close the access to the nest for a bit to see if she otherwise acts normal. If she is broody, most likely she will cluck a lot and walk around all puffed up. But she shouldn’t walk with her legs spread or hunching down often as if to poo.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Cat tails

I agree with CT, it sounds like she's broody. Kick her out of the nest when everyones finished laying and close the house so that she has to stay in the run.

If she's persistent you can pop her in a broody crate, wire cat carrier or dog crate, for 3 days and nights which usually does the trick :)