atsw

Red in Egg Whites

Hello Omletteers!

I'd like to ask for your thoughts on what might be causing a red discoloration in the white of eggs being laid by one of my hens.

egg.jpg

I’m curious as to what might have caused it. It first occurred a couple of weeks back, but as it was the first time I’d seen it in any of my eggs I didn’t give it any further thought at the time.  However, now it's happened again, so it clearly wasn’t a one-off, and I'd like to get your thoughts on what it is (it looks like some blood got into the egg-white forming process) and what might have caused it.  Finally of course, do I have anything to worry about?

Looking froward to your replies,

Andrew

Nice to see you!

I would guess one of the hens has a ruptured blood vessel in the oviduct which has got into the white. I wouldn't worry too much, I doubt there's much you an do unless you know who is laying them and even then I don't know how you'd tell apart from endoscopy. Technically I'm sure they're fine to eat but I wouldn't fancy it :anxious::lol:  

2 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Is it a sign they are fertilised?  Great to hear from you, Andrew, by the way! 

Thanks Patricia, good to see you're still contributing!  Yes, it's almost certain the egg would have been fertile as I currently have two very active cockerels 9_9.  The egg was from one of my older hens, as the 'new' girls that hatched last year currently lay much smaller sized eggs than the big girls.

Andrew