habout

Selling my babies :( - tax confusion?!

Hello all :)

I've taken on extra responsibilities at work and will have significantly less time at home to be able to look after my babies, so I'm going to have to rehome some of them :( I was wondering if I would end up paying any tax on them if I was to sell them? My pay at work is changing, then soon will be slightly changing again because I'll be getting a company car I'll be paying a small chunk towards. Overall it should come to about £2000 a month after taking out income tax. Will this affect anything when selling off basically everything chicken-related I have? (will be changing to a slighly smaller coop and moving the garden around a bit). Will I incur any tax on the money I get from them? I can't imagine there will be any profit but I'm completely clueless as to how it works!

Thanks!

If you are selling on 'domestic' stuff that has been for personal use that is now surplus to requirements (whether it be a chicken, sofa, bicycle, clothes etc) it shouldn't subject to tax. If you are selling on things that you used to make money (ie; if you ran a business rearing chickens for meat and/or eggs and were selling your kit) then I think that's slightly different.

• Like 1

But I suspect that the amount you will earn after you deduct your expenses will not change your tax code.   You will only risk tax on a profit minus deductible expenses.   If you’ve discovered a way to make millions out of chickens, let the rest of us know!  Mine are definitely an expense.  All eggs are gold plated! 

• Thanks 1