AnneEgg

Chicken Rescue - Cube Mk1 and Mk2 - Differences??? Spares???

Morning!

I had a Classic Eglu several years ago, but haven't had chooks for a while, or posted here for a while (no idea what my account name was back then either, so I'm showing as a complete newbie!).

Our local town has a housing estate with an increasing chook problem - I'd like to go and collect a few before they are either run over or destroyed by the RSPCA, but the return of chooks to my life wasn't quite planned just yet and I will need to get a coop and run before I attempt any rescue.  I'm looking at the Cube, but I'm not sure I have the funds for a brand new one and am looking at secondhand ones.  I need to know whether the Mk1 and MK2 are interchangeable regarding spares, run fixings etc - I don't want to buy a secondhand one with only 1 or 2m run, only to find I can't extend the space!  I've found a post on here about MK1 and MK2 Eglu differences, but I'm not sure about the Cube...

So, 2 questions...  

Please can anyone tell me about the Cube differences as above?

And does anyone have a set-up they would like to sell to me?  The bigger the better in terms of run length, walk-in extensions... anything!  Hit me with what you got lol  I'm in S Norfolk, but I have access to a van and can travel :)

Thanks for reading, guys!

Good to hear that you're 'returning to chickens'.

The newer cubes (mark 2) are quite different from the original, and judging by feedback I have seen online, I would suggest getting a mark 1 if you cane find one anywhere. There are wanted and for sale sections on this forum, and ebay usually has a fairly brisk trade in them.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on... where are these chooks coming from?

Thanks for your reply :)

Are the Mk 1's all plastic?  No wooden roosting bars etc?  I can see that someone on here has had an attempted theft of a Mk 1 and is struggling to find spares to repair it (I will mention on their post that they should check eBay - I was looking on there myself this morning.  Do you know if the stand-up run will fix easily to the standard Mk 1 run?  That would be the ideal way to increase their space.

The chooks are the rapidly-increasing offspring from a rooster and hen left behind by some total herberts who moved out and left them!  

Mark 1s are all plastic and in my view, sturdier and aesthetically more pleasing than the Mark 2.  I’m guessing that the Mark 2 is cheaper to manufacture.  So I’d go for a Mark 1 anyway.  I have two.  One is 10years old, the green is faded but that’s it;  the second is blue and at least 12 years old.  It doesn’t seem faded at all.   I don’t think parts are interchangeable. 

My only cticism of them ( both models) is that I haven’t found the runs rodent proof.  But I doubt anything other than very small gauge weldmesh is. 

Good luck in your search.