cdyer98

Help Required - Our only chicken

Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forum!

We're having a situation with our last chicken, a Bantam hen. We had more chickens last year but the last of them died to a fox, leaving her.

She's always been a bit different, as she sleeps at the top of a tree and has always been somewhat solitary.

During the summer, I spent more time feeding the chicken by hand. Holding her, making a fuss, etc! For a long while she was happy.

Now, she's acting strange.

Over the past few days, she's actively seeks to lay eggs and settle 'behind our sofa'! She makes a beeline straight indoors whenever the doors open, and when we shut her out, she kept pacing the garden and then staying right by the glass doors leading outside.

As I write this she's laid two eggs behind the sofa, and she's nested on some newspapers I placed down so that we could collect any poo.

Now I need to ask: Should I get a Hen or Rooster as company for her? Will that sort out any issues?

Many thanks,

Connor

IMG_20180706_195042.jpg

Sounds like she is feeling a bit lonely. But I think one rooster isn’t the way forward as the rooster will be giving her too much attention, leaving her with the risk of going bald. 

Adding any hens to a lone hen is no easy either as other who have done so will tell you. Can’t give any advise to adding either one or more hens.

She is a very pretty little bird though!

Edited by Cat tails

She is a very pretty little lady.  If you intend to continue I would get at least two, if you got two from different source and introduced very slowly they should settle ok, though her personality is a little loner. My Silkie has never integrated and although mine are four lots of chickens introduced at different times she doesn’t bother with anyone.

Could be possible that a predictor is nearby making her fearful. Keep a close watch over her and make sure she is safe when outdoors. You could make a temporary living spot for her near you until you decide what to do about buying other chickens. I'm sure she'd like that!😀