pkirk25

Behaviour Change and Flock Killing 1 Member

I have 6 hens that have lived happily for over a year in a Cube.  Over the last few weeks, I noticed one is hiding in the roost area and that when she comes down the others chase her.  Two of the others have become vicious and now she can't even stay in roost area without being chased.  I've tried putting the "bullies" in the separte run for a week but they resume their campaign against her immediately I reintroduce them.  She has lost a lot of feathers and they have drawn blood from pecks on her wings and back.  She has no access to food.

I thought that this would pass but its been weeks and now I can see she is desperate for water so I have put her in a separate run. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the way forward?  Or some clue as to why such an awful behaviour change takes place?

I don’t know why this happens. I would keep her and the next bottom in pecking order, separate if you can. I had similar situation with little Silkie, I separated her and sibling,then re introduced. I thought all well until we went one morning and she was lying on ground being pecked viciously around head. We brought her inside but she later died. I wondered if they sensed illness and were culling or if it was hen pecking gone crazy. The other little Silkie is with flock but definitely bottom hen and scuttles about trying to hide.

I agree with Shazzie's suggestion about separating for the time being, especially as there isn't just one bully in this situation.

Have you fitted bumpa bits to the others yet? This will stop them being able to peck and cause injury.

Bullying can happen for various reasons, but if all else in their lives remains constant, then perhaps they have detected that this bird is ailing, and turned on her. Check them anyway for lice, that they have enough space and that they weer wormed recently - all of these can be factors.