Anna

Loss of neck feathers

I wonder if anyone can help? We have had 3 point of lay hens since June and first time we have kept hens. One of them has lost feathers from the back of the neck and to a lesser extent at the front. I thought one of the others had been pecking her but I haven’t seen any pecking now for the last few weeks (we used anti pecking spray) and have read about a partial moult in young chickens, so wondered if it could be that. She is otherwise well, eating lots and laying. The other 2 hens are fine. Photos attached. Many thanks.

9AD6FF4E-42CB-44F6-A4E2-08B8C5C189CF.jpeg

8819460D-B4BE-423E-80BC-BF5D54FA245F.jpeg

03300D8E-C100-4506-9A3F-3044D88FF247.jpeg

That doesn’t look like a moult, but still rather than pulled off feathers. Although you might not see any feather pecking or pulling now, it might have happened before. It takes a long time for them to regrow and might not happen untill she moults.

My new hen is sporting a rather bald neck too, but pretty sure that is due to figuring out the pecking order.

Thank you both. Yes I wasn’t sure if they were emerging quills on the neck or broken off stumps but the more patchy loss on her front made me wonder about a moult. We got the hens at the beginning of June and this hen was already laying at that point.