CannyCat

Dogs - care Qs

I like the idea of having a dog.

I work 4 days a week - the usual 9-5. My OH works shifts, so the longest a dog would be on its own is 7 hours, 3-4 days a week. Is this too long? I know you have to let them out to potty, and it would be mean to make it do the potty dance all day :( so I might just have to wait until if/when I get to give up my job and pop out a few sprogs.......

How do other working doggy mamas manage?

im very fortunate that I work days and hubby works nights. So there is always someone here with the dog.

Hubby hasnt always worked nights though and a few years ago we had to leave the dog for about 4-5 hours x4 days a week.

My dog is very good and has never done any poos/wee's in the house. She is walked 4-5 times a day (we have woods and fields next to our house).

We have always made sure that she gets the time/attention she should have. Obviously its your own personal circumstances if you got a dog,...as long as the dog is happy and you'll have plenty of time at the weekends etc to walk it - its up to you. :)

Maybe get 2 dogs - and then they will have company!!

My dogs used to be on their own for about 8 hours while I was at work. I think having 2 helped and i never had problems with weeing/pooing or destroying things. I think it depends on the type of dog and how you feel about leaving them alone for a long time. Now i wouldn't dream of leaving them alone, i've got softer in my old age, and they spend the day at my mother-in-laws being pampered rotten! Do you have family nearby who could come and let your dog out during the day or alternatively look into hiring a dog walker. Your local vet may be able to put you in touch with someone.

Lots of the rescues I looked at won't entertain them being left longer than 4 hours - I'm lucky that there is some one at home until lunchtime on the 4 days I work, and I only work school hours. They do need to get out during the day, are you close enough to pop home at lunchtimes?

Yes, I am able to come home for lunch at the moment, but my worry is that if I get a dog I'll have to be that much more selective if/when I look for a new job. (I've been made redundant before, and it's scarred me!)

A dog walker is a good idea, if costly... will research!

No family nearby, alas :(

Destruction isn't a big deal - we can just close the lounge and bedroom door, which is the only place we have any furniture of value...