MamaCoop

Eglu Go (Rabbit) to an Eglu Up a few Q's

Hi I have been gifted a rabbit go and 2m run. 

I have found the roosting bars in the Omlet site so know I need to buy those. 

I am in two minds whether to get a walk in run (either omlet or another type) and put the Up on a table in it. 

Otherwise whats the most cost effective way so you think to get the run to fit an Up if I buy the stand? Would it to buy a whole new run or looking on in the spares part of the website is there a  way you can buy the panels seperately to make the 2m run become and Up run? 

Also has anyone ever been creative enough to widen their run with the run panels? Or is it just an easier to buy a low level square run? 

With the run (either as is or as an up) is it difficult to clean?  I am assuming there is no way you can get in from the top on via either ends? 

Money isnt free flowing like most people so I was trying to work out the best way to spend my money so my hens have a good amount of space and access for me to clean.

Thanks for your opinions x 

Pretty sure you can remodel your run to become an up, as the general shape is different. Some here have fitted extra doors on the side. Think there is a kit for this on the omlet website. 

I don’t really clean my run as much as they are on dirt. The rain and worms do the cleaning for me. The back end of the Up run is best accessed through the back door and then remove the roosting bars and poop drawer.

What a great gift! :D

How many chickens are you hoping to get? Cost wise the cheapest thing would be to get a walk in run, probably made of wooden run panels which you can buy from poultry retailers or even eBay. You can make your own but it's often cheaper to buy the panels.

If you want to get an Omlet run I would assume it's more cost effective to buy their run rather than the individual spares, I would prefer a low rise walk in run.

Walk In Run 1.jpg

Thanks so much for your replies. 

Thank you Cat Tails I hadnt seen that the Go and Go Up had a different shape at the end. I will have a search for the kit for an extra door. Mine will be on dirt too. 

I love your run Lewis!! 😍 I hadnt thought about building one ourselves. Mmmm will have a little think about that.🤓

I am thinking 2-3 hens. I feel that the 2m run wouldnt be big enough for them. Though I know the guidelines say it is. They will be able to wander around my garden which is pretty big several times a week, and some weeks every day, but I wanted something bigger for them as a definate every day. Am I getting this wrong? Would their 2m run be more than ok? 🤷🤷 just want happy ladies 🐔

And yes such a lovely gift, I am so grateful as I had been looking at them on ebay to try and get myself a bargain.I feel very lucky.  

Oh and I was originally thibking of the converting to an Up as someone told me that hens prefer to be off the ground. Is this right? 

The more space you can give them the better, I think they're easier to manage in a Walk in Run and have space to scratch around in. Two would be ok in a 2m run but that's really the minimum amount of space.

They like to roost off the ground but are perfectly happy in a low run.

If you are placing your run on dirt, might want to consider two things:

1) dig in some paving slabs underneath the run. This prevents the chickens from digging their way out.

2) get a full length clear cover. Prevents it from going muddy.

otherwise, my chickens are perfectly happy in their run sized dust bath

6 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

1) dig in some paving slabs underneath the run. This prevents the chickens from digging their way out.

Good point - also foxes (which I don't think you have in the Netherlands CT?) digging in.

Our run is on a concrete slab but we also have eglus on the patio for the same reason.