Almost ready for chickens and it’s time to clean the cube ready for its first arrivals. I bought it second hand so no instructions- what’s the best way to clean it? I have some jeyes fluid but does it all unscrew? I know I sound totally clueless but it’s been sat in the garden for 6 months under a tree and it’s a bit mucky. How often will I need to take it all apart to clean? Once a week? Thank you 🐔

It all unscrews, but takes time to put back together. If this is the first good clean for a while may well be worth it. Don’t use Jeyes fluid.  Or bleach.  You need chicken friendly products which kill red mite etc.  I use Nettex Total Mite to wash it, leave it all to dry then I use ant killer which has permethrin and puff it in the crevices.    Others have other favourite products so I’m sure they’ll be along to tell you about them. 

You need to get a Poultry disinfectant from somewhere like flytes of fancy or your local tack shop if they stock poultry products.  Not all diinfectants are pet friendly and can leave residues. 

i have cleaned my cube with Jeyes Fluid and cif cream cleaner.  We scrubbed it down well with hot soapy water afterwards.  The thing was absolutely disgusting after being disused for a while.   After you have cleaned it out a smear of Vaseline or 3 In one on the screws/washers as they rust 

Thanks both - we don’t have a cat but our neighbours do, so I’ll look for better option. We’re so close to having everything ready, just takes longer with a 1 year old and 4 year old ‘helping’ still need to fit the auto door, rebuild the cube and put a roof on the run. 

D290CAA0-F4B7-49CE-AA6F-BE667BA75452.jpeg

• Like 1