welshgirl21

Plants/shrubs for run

Depending on what your run is on (soil, paving slabs etc) plants make very little chance of surviving in a chicken run. Soil is often too dry and the chickens will scratch the roots. You have a better chance of planting a climber on the outside and let it climb on the run. A neighbour has a clematis growing on his run, which seems to do well.

He also tried a hydrangea in the run, which is dying now and has a small pine tree type planted in. The latter being poisonous to chickens. 

I wouldn’t bother with any plants in the run, but rather give them some greens like cabbage once in a while.

• Thanks 1

Bindweed grows well I’ve discovered!  They will eat it if you pick it for them but not enough to control its growth and after a while it looks awful over the run. They love Dandelions which I pick for them but as Cat Tails says nothing will thrive in the actual run.   I have an outside area for them to roam around in, with Choysia surviving to give them shade. Also, a rambling rose and vines on the fence.   But I keep them out of the actual garden as I found out the hard way, chicken and a nice garden do not mix.