Kit06

Really persistent broody hen

I have a really persistent broody Pekin and have run out of ideas so was hoping someone would be able to suggest something to help?

I have tried the usual 3 days and nights in a dog crate up on bricks (didn't work), a further 4 days and nights in the crate (didn't work) , letting her out of the crate and hoofing her out of the next box several times a day (didn't work), dunking her chest in cool water a couple of times a day (while in crate for 3 days) (didn't work) and I've just finished 3 days and nights in the crate on cool blocks (covered with a towel) IT DIDN'T WORK!!! She was brooding on the cool block and will brood on the bars of the cube too. She has eaten very little over the last few weeks but still seems lively enough. I've shut the house door now and she spends all her time at the top of the ladder trying to get in. She's never been broody before. I have two other Pekins who regularly go broody but are easily broken in the crate for 3 days and nights. HELP! I'm tearing my hair out

Not sure what to suggest but do know what it is like to have a Pekin that doesn't follow the 3 day rule.

Lily is often in the dog crate for about 7 days.

Perhaps one of those dog cooling sheets might work ?

Or maybe one of those cool cloths that they sell in garden centres for people ? Although not sure if that would make her too wet. It definitely made me cool when I used it for the first time yesterday afternoon.

Hopefully someone else might have some better ideas soon. 

• Like 1