DanTheChickenMan

Starting Again with Feathered Friends - Eglu Cube

Hello

We recently have purchased a property with a small paddock and my idea is to get about 6 chickens and a rooster (neighbours dependent).  I've previously kept a lot of fancy bantams but this time I will focus on the egg production side as I want to teach my son who is 4 the idea of making a few quid here and there by selling eggs to family and friends.  

I've had my eye on a Eglu Cube for a while - the ease of cleaning and red mite repellent design is attracting me a lot.

As I would like them to free range in the paddock for most of the day, I was wondering what the members would say as to whether I should just get the house or if the run is essentially as well?

I often go away on business and return late in the day so I am thinking of an auto door for the coop.  The Hentronix one seems a lot better - have people seen this and what are views on auto doors.

As this is Ireland, the fox population is a lot less - we don't seem to get the urban foxes that I encountered in Scotland, but I still wouldn't want to take the chances.

Also my wife is very concerned RE the rodent side - I know there is a minimal amount you can do to stop pests visiting the feeders but I have seen the feeders which have a treadle when the choicken stands on the feeder opens and also the version which dispenses pellets when the chicken taps it with it's beak.  Be glad of thoughts on holding rodents back as well.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, this has honestly been the most exciting part about moving house.... 😂

Daniel

Welcome to the forum :)

A couple of tips Dan.....

• Get a Cube mark 1 - plenty on Ebay and they are FAR better than the mark 2.
  • You will need a run attached to your housing for times when you are out all day, darker days, or when there's an Avian Influenza shutdown, and they need to be in a covered run 24/7. They will be up and about much earlier than you expect, and needing to spend time in the run, eating; so, unless you are prepared to be up and letting them out at 4am in the summer - a run is essential..
  • One last point.... you'll need a run to confine them to for the first couple of weeks while they build up a homing instinct (much as when you move house with a cat) otherwise, you'll let them out of the coop and won't see them for dust. I use this time to train all of mine to return to the run when I whistle and there's no bother getting them in when needed.

3 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Welcome to the forum :)

A couple of tips Dan.....

• Get a Cube mark 1 - plenty on Ebay and they are FAR better than the mark 2.
  • You will need a run attached to your housing for times when you are out all day, darker days, or when there's an Avian Influenza shutdown, and they need to be in a covered run 24/7. They will be up and about much earlier than you expect, and needing to spend time in the run, eating; so, unless you are prepared to be up and letting them out at 4am in the summer - a run is essential..
  • One last point.... you'll need a run to confine them to for the first couple of weeks while they build up a homing instinct (much as when you move house with a cat) otherwise, you'll let them out of the coop and won't see them for dust. I use this time to train all of mine to return to the run when I whistle and there's no bother getting them in when needed.

Interesting thanks for this.  Keen to know benefits on Mark 1 Cube over Mark 2?

Also any thoughts on the feeders.