RebeccaL

Worms in chickens

I’m currently worming my five hens with Verm-X and adding apple cider vinegar to their water as I spotted a roundworm in one of their poos. Can anyone with experience clarify if it’s ok to still eat the eggs? I imagine so as I wouldn’t know they had worms if I hadn’t seen one, so could be in blissful ignorance. Google is giving conflicting advice!! Not helpful!

Egg withdrawal normally only applies to the wormer getting into the egg, not the worm itself.

But Verm-X isn’t my (or any on here I think) first choice for a wormer. It’s just a herbal mix that only makes the gut less inviting to worms, but probably won’t kill them. If you have worms in their poos, you most likely have a big worm burden and worming with Flubenvet or ivermectin/iverquantel is probably needed.

You can get flubenvet online or in chicken feed shops. If you want to treat with ivermectin/iverquantel, I would consult your vet.

1 hour ago, Cat tails said:

Marriage’s sell medicated pellets that are already treated with Flubenvet. You feed this for about a week and with heavy worm burden, you can repeat after a few days. 

If you're not sure about the scale of the infestation, then worm once for 7 days, leave 3 weeks, then worm for another 7 days. I would support their gut flora with something like Herbal Gut Conditioner and then send off for a faecal worm egg count (Westgate labs) after you've done both sessions.

It's best to keep on top of it with regular testing/worming