Microstead

Chicken food and storage

More questions I'm afraid

1. Should I feed my chickens, when I get them, the same brand as the breeder they came from or can I move them straight to a new brand? If I can move to a new  brand what brand do you recommend? Is there any particular reason that nearly everyone appears to use pellets as opposed to mash?

2. Mixed corn or just plain corn? And should I buy the 20kg bag or would a smaller bag be better?

3. What size galvernised bin should I get, given that I will be getting the 20kg bag of chicken food and some poultry tonic seeds ( they have a 12.5kg bag on amazon with free delivery but I fear this might be too much for three bantams whow will only get a handful a day)

I'm off out into the garden to make up the coop and run now. I took me ages just to get the string through the peck toy last night, so this might take a while!

We always bring some feed from the breeder and phase it out over a week or so to our brand of pellets. The idea is to make sure they eat and keep changes to a minimum as change is stressful and they will have enough moving to a strange place. Mash goes off quickly, as does any wet feed, so it can't be left out uneaten.

We give ours mixed 'chick' corn which is partially crushed; the pieces are smaller and keep them occupied longer. They don't get it every day so even for a dozen chickens 5Kg lasts ages.

Ours is in a plastic dustbin which the mice can't chew through, but rats probably could eventually. i wouldn't get galvanised until there was a problem.

Agree with Beantree.  

I feed small holders layers pellets and give a small amount of corn in the evenings at the moment while its cold, though they should be fine with just layers pellets.

I also use the plastic dustbins and found they had sizes on them so can get an idea of how many food bags they will hold depending on which size of bag you want to go for.

I also have grit available at all times in a separate tub so they can help themselves 

Thank you for all your answers. I have a plastic bin that I used to keep my dog food in, I guess that would be suitable, but I'm worried about rats/mice chewing through as it's going to be outside. I guess I'll give it a try though. 

I already have some grit from omlet but it's only 1.4 kilos. How long should this last 3 bantams?

6 hours ago, Microstead said:

More questions I'm afraid

1. Should I feed my chickens, when I get them, the same brand as the breeder they came from or can I move them straight to a new brand? If I can move to a new  brand what brand do you recommend? Is there any particular reason that nearly everyone appears to use pellets as opposed to mash?

If they are point of lay or already laying, then feed them layers' pellets - I like the quality of Smallholder. If they are nearer the 15-16 week mark, then keep them on growers until they start to lay. I would bring away some of the breeder's/supplier's feed and then cut it in with what you want to switch them onto. Mash can be messy as they like to scratch their way through it and scatter all over the place. Any spilt feed needs to be cleared up as sour/damp grains can be toxic. Having said that, I often cut some Dr Green's Co***** Layers' Mash in with the pellets for my lot - it is too rich on its own.

2. Mixed corn or just plain corn? And should I buy the 20kg bag or would a smaller bag be better?

I don't feed corn at all - I prefer to use poultry tonic seed mix, which is more nutritious and less sweet/fattening.

3. What size galvernised bin should I get, given that I will be getting the 20kg bag of chicken food and some poultry tonic seeds ( they have a 12.5kg bag on amazon with free delivery but I fear this might be too much for three bantams whow will only get a handful a day).

A full-sized galvanised dustbin will fit  a 20kg sack of feed. If you are keeping it outdoors or in an outhouse, then this will stop any mouse or rat damage.

I'm off out into the garden to make up the coop and run now. I took me ages just to get the string through the peck toy last night, so this might take a while!

3 hours ago, Microstead said:

Apple cider vinegar - should I put it in their water everyday or just once a month for week ( I read this somewhere)?

I just add it to the water very couple of days. But don't use it in hot weather as a reaction in the heat prevents them form absorbing calcium to well and you may get soft-shelled eggs.