AnneT

Antibiotics for layers (UK)?

Hi all,

Last time I spoke to a vet about antibiotics for hens I was told that once they'd been treated you could never use the eggs again.  Because I don't know which egg comes from which hen that's obviously a problem as I'd need to isolate my poor hen completely and for ever.  I'm taking a hen to the vet soon and likely to be offered antibiotics, so are the rules in the UK still the same, or are there any authorised antibiotics that just have a withdrawal period?  My vet isn't a particular hen expert, so I'd like to be fully armed with information!  Alternatively, I'm sure I've read somewhere that if this happens then they can do something, possibly a hormone injection, which make them menopausal so stops them laying any more eggs in their lifetime.  Has anyone heard of anything like that?

Many thanks,

Anne

I think it depends on who you 

2 hours ago, AnneT said:

Hi all,

Last time I spoke to a vet about antibiotics for hens I was told that once they'd been treated you could never use the eggs again.  Because I don't know which egg comes from which hen that's obviously a problem as I'd need to isolate my poor hen completely and for ever.  I'm taking a hen to the vet soon and likely to be offered antibiotics, so are the rules in the UK still the same, or are there any authorised antibiotics that just have a withdrawal period?  My vet isn't a particular hen expert, so I'd like to be fully armed with information!  Alternatively, I'm sure I've read somewhere that if this happens then they can do something, possibly a hormone injection, which make them menopausal so stops them laying any more eggs in their lifetime.  Has anyone heard of anything like that?

Many thanks,

Anne

I think it depends on which vet you talk to Anne.  I've had to use a lot of Tylan in the past because my birds had coccidosis and at the beginning I was told to withdraw eggs but then I saw another vet who actually looked it up and told me I didn't have to withdraw eggs so perhaps ask them to look it up?