soapdragon

E Bay Query!

We had a mega clearout over half term and I decided to take advantage of the 'sell for no more than £1' offer on E Bay. Some things sold whilst others didn't. I did sell a lovely Next dress, still tagged, that I'd bough a few weeks ago on E Bay but decided against keeping. It sold and I sent the invoice politely requesting payment within 24 hours via Paypal so that I could get to the post office. Nothing. After 48 hours I sent a reminder e mail requesting payment. Nothing. 24 hours later I re invoiced. Nothing (note a bit of a pattern here!?). Finally I sent an e mail saying that the dress was ready to send but I couldn't do that without payment - if there was a problem could the buyer please let me know otherwise, if I hadn't heard anything by 5.00pm the following day, I would open an unpaids case. I said that I didn't want to do that as it resulted in a record on their account but was the only way I could get my fees back in the even of non payment. Nothing. They have until tomorrow, according to E Bay but clearly are not intending to pay up.

That set me wondering and I've been trawling the E Bay rules etc to try and find out what this 'recording of an unpaid item' on the buyers account actually means.Obviously, as a buyer, you have the choice as to whether to buy from a particular seller as you can check their feedback. I just gave up on a lovely dress as 2 neg feedbacks mentioned items stinking of ciggy smoke - euw! But, as a seller, anyone can bid and you have no say. So you could get a bid from someone and look at their feedback and see that they have a number of negs for whatever reason and there is nothing that you can do about it! I've always felt that E Bay are happier to look after their buyers than sellers but wonder if anyone knows any more about this process? Maybe I've been reading the wrong bits!

I have terms in the footer of my listings (see below) which are binding when they bid on an item, and handy too as i can  then refer to them if needed. This shows up in your comms with the buyer (which eBay reads if they need to). I'm afraid that I have little patience for those who bid, win an item then promptly go offline for days - similar happens on Freecycle too - I just message them as a reminder, giving them a date/time (as per my T&Cs) by which to pay. If they don't then I open a non-payment case and relist the item.

image.thumb.png.4f6b83018be9e6e619d622d6b985a4c0.png

I always ask in the listing for payment within 24 hours. and send an invoice on the point of sale requesting same .....but do wonder what the unpaids strike against the 'buyer' actually means and if it has any actual effect, going forward.

Just a pain as I'll now have to unpackage the dress and probably run the iron over it as it will have been creased whilst packaged then wait  for the next 'sell for no more than £1' on E Bay....I refuse to pay their ridiculously high fees now they are charging on postage as well - which keeps going up. As usual, the minority spoiling for the majority.

No listings are free but there is the 10% fee on the final sale PLUS 10% on the postage so the 'sell for no more than £1' means that, whatever you sell for £1 is all you'll pay. That's the only time I ever list! Obviously there is the Paypal fee too so it does all add up.