Sue1411

BBC Insideout Programme

Did anyone see this programme tonight (BBC1 7.30pm)? They ran a feature on a lady in Devon who rescues and rehomes old battery hens (up to 1600 hens a go!). They have now spread their cause almost nationwide and more info (including rehoming details) can be found on their website ( www.thehenshouse.co.uk ).

Had to stop myself ringing up and volunteering to take about 15 - don't think my boyfriend would appreciate it somehow!

Hi Sue yes I did, my son shouted me when it came on it is heart wrenching to see the conditions they live in.

The ladies name is Jane Howarth and she has rescued thousands of chickens and rehomed them all for the love of it........... :D

I think quite a few people on the P.P forum have rehomed some of the chickens she rescues...........The poor chickens don't even know how to walk or what day light is.

Missed the programme myself but I've visited the website a few times. First time I saw it I banned my Mum from anything but free range eggs, she used to just buy the cheapest and there's no way I want anyone I know supporting that kind of cruelty when it's just not necessary.

Soap box going away now :x

I missed the programme but had seen the lady's website before. She was featured briefly in Country Living magazine last year. For those of you interested in rehoming battery hens, one of the River Cottage contributors has rehomed 10 ex-battery hens and has told her story on their forum (click here ) and has included before and after shots of the hens she rescued. An inspiring story.