Nic_Peters

Digging and Near Escaping Rabbits from Eglu Rabbit run

Hi Everyone, 

We have an Eglu rabbit hutch with run and then a tunnel system to a bigger run. Our 3 rabbits love a good dig and we've been happily moving them onto fresh grass and filling in the holes but today, there are 4 large deep holes that they have almost escaped from. The holes now extend beyond the wire of the eglu hutch run, so I've had to add 2 more sheets of emergency wire to stop them getting out tonight but obviously this is now a major concern.  The holes are definitely from the rabbits and not any other animal .

Has anyone else had this and how did you stop it? Reading online most people seem to agree that a rabbit can squeeze out of things that are between 2.5 and 3 inches large (but many say that smaller holes are still very easily squeezed through) and so the Eglu wire floor isn't secure enough to stop a digging rabbit from escaping. Having spent a lot of money on this, I'm so upset that we may lose our rabbits as the wiring is too generous.

All thoughts, welcome!!? 

1 hour ago, Nic_Peters said:

Hi Everyone, 

We have an Eglu rabbit hutch with run and then a tunnel system to a bigger run. Our 3 rabbits love a good dig and we've been happily moving them onto fresh grass and filling in the holes but today, there are 4 large deep holes that they have almost escaped from. The holes now extend beyond the wire of the eglu hutch run, so I've had to add 2 more sheets of emergency wire to stop them getting out tonight but obviously this is now a major concern.  The holes are definitely from the rabbits and not any other animal .

Has anyone else had this and how did you stop it? Reading online most people seem to agree that a rabbit can squeeze out of things that are between 2.5 and 3 inches large (but many say that smaller holes are still very easily squeezed through) and so the Eglu wire floor isn't secure enough to stop a digging rabbit from escaping. Having spent a lot of money on this, I'm so upset that we may lose our rabbits as the wiring is too generous.

All thoughts, welcome!!? 

Those are some escape artists if they manage to squeeze through the floor wire of a Eglu! 😳

Safest permanent option is to put the whole thing on paving slabs. But probably not the solution your looking for. It will make cleaning easier though.

Otherwise you could add some wire bird mesh underneath the run. This has a much smaller gauge.

Hi I have had exactly the same problem. My rabbits are diggers. One managed to get underneath the floor mesh and was trapped underneath (were no other points of entry as all clipped at sides) and I had to rescue her as she couldn’t get back through. I’ve messaged customer services and awaiting response as my feeling is the mesh needs to be much smaller so they can’t squeeze through. I’m hoping she hasn’t hurt herself. I’ve had to shut them in their hutch until I remedy this which completely defeats the object of getting a bigger space for them to enjoy.