HarrisonFamily

Budgie Advice

Hello,

When my parents died I inherited their budgies - I have 2 left (I think there was 6 originally ) they have happily lived in the same outside aviary (approx 3 m x 1.5m) ever since they are now at least 12 years old- which I believe is a good age for a budgie. They used to have access to a caged area in  a shed but they never used it so they survive in the aviary.

Due to garden plans they need to be moved - the aviary is collapsing so new accommodation is required - 

I could buy a cage and bring them in but feel this would be the worst option as they have never been in.

I have a well built lean too that could be converted into an aviary and they would actually have more space and then I would be very tempted to get 2 more young ones. However, a relative of mine bought 6 budgies last year and 4 died within months on the same night and they were convinced it was because the weather got cold.

Have I just got tough little budgies that were bred outside and just got used to  it or can budgies survive outside -especially if I build in a sheltered wind proof area - I live in the southeast of england so not as cold as some places.?

Would introducing 2 young ones to older ones be a problem (the old ones are both boys)

Also any tips on catching elderly budgies so that I can move them would be appreciated.

Thank you

Helen