Annabel

Is this Prolapse?

My chicken (ex caged) is 2 years 9m and has taken herself off to the nesting box and isolating herself. Generally lethargic yesterday evening. This morning she didn’t come down from the nesting box (very unusual). I found the leftovers of an egg in the nesting box with what looks like the membrane hanging from her vent. I got her down to eat and drink where she then did a horrific pop that looks like egg mix and has this red patch - is this prolapse?

FEFC777E-FA54-40D7-8F0E-F14590A96E66.jpeg

FC93FF29-D126-4471-8437-E932C1691F9C.jpeg

B01A3C1D-7EE1-4DA1-ADFE-9635D8F2765B.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

A prolapse is part of the oviduct that is pushed out when straining. It looks like a fleshy ball that is coming from her butt.
This looks more like shedding of the lining, but it will be a good idea to clean her up and have a good inspection.

Thank you Cat tails - I didn't think it looked like it was still attached but I don't know how painful it would be or stressful for me to start cleaning her up but I think that's a good idea.

She may have been laying a softie (shell less egg). That does make them feel poorly. But leaving this mess on her bum isn’t a good idea. Other hens might try pecking at it. 
If you don’t want to give her a complete wash, try and use a wet wash cloth or similar. You don’t need soap, just a little rinse.

I’ve cleaned her up now and the bed bit just sort of dissolved. The cream bit hanging from her bottom looked like membrane and the ‘egg’ mess she had laid in the nesting box looked mostly like egg white, so I think that weird pop she did (above) was the yolk.

She’s eaten and drink and then taken herself off to the nesting box again - it looks like she’s trying to lay with tail up and alert but no luck still after 4 hours or so.

also I’ve noticed her crop has no feathers on- this was concealed by the breast feathers on top but when parted her crop has very red skin and is featherless- anyone experienced that?

I don’t think there actually are any feathers on the crop so it would always look like that when the breast feathers are parted.

Glad it wasn’t a prolapse.

If she was mine I think I’d keep her somewhere quiet for a day or two so I could keep and eye on her and try to figure out what’s going on because she’s clearly not quite right.

It does look like egg and the flesh bit may be shed intestinal lining as there is no bleeding. Problem may be she has the eggshell still inside and that's going to be difficult to push out. We had one of our pullets do that last year and it took many hours before the crumpled shell emerged (she's fine now).

When was she last wormed with Flubenvet?

She was last wormed 2 months ago with Flubenvet so isn't due yet and nothing in the poo to imply worms (or any of the others).

yes i haven't seen any egg shell around so I think she may still have that.

She's come out of the nesting box (no results there) and gone to actively join the others so that is a good sign.  I'm wondering what type of horrors I will find in the nesting box tomorrow!

She had some nutridrops today so hopefully that will pick her up a bit!

• Like 1