Guest Poet

outside run management advice pls

hi guys, our inside run is easy enough to maintain as it's got hemcore directly on top of concrete slabs but the outside run has bark chippings over soil.

What's the best way to keep the outside run well maintained and fresh?

Would removing the bark, digging it over and putting in fresh bark once a month be okay or is there something else we should do?

Moving the run isn't an option.

adding a pic just in case there's someone on the forum that hasn't seen it yet ;):lol::lol:

out1.JPG

Every once in a while you may need to dig out all the old chippings (use as a mulch on the borders), and dig some garden lime into the soil. That freshens the soil and (I think) neutralises the effects of the dropping build up. (use garden lime, NOT builders lime which is caustic). Stick some fresh chippings down and away you go! The lime is harmless to the chickens so they can go straight back in when done. :D

Every once in a while you may need to dig out all the old chippings (use as a mulch on the borders), and dig some garden lime into the soil. That freshens the soil and (I think) neutralises the effects of the dropping build up. (use garden lime, NOT builders lime which is caustic). Stick some fresh chippings down and away you go! The lime is harmless to the chickens so they can go straight back in when done. :D

hi snowy, how often would you think this needs to be done?

so we'll play it by nose (as opposed to ear) then? ;)

touch wood, it's pretty sheltered and doesn't seem to get wet.

again, thanks for the advice

xxx

so, that's stalo-whasit and garden lime for the shopping list :D

I think your run/house is great, because you have it roofed and it has open sides - therefore you'll stop the rain, but it will still have air circulating through it! excellent! :)

cheers Chelsea but all the credit for that goes to my darling hubbie, I'll tell him what you said ;)