Honeysmum

Neighbours cockerel mating with my hens!

My neighbour has a very noisy cockerel which does annoy us by crowing from 2am onwards but to be good neighbours ourselves we haven’t complained…yet. 
Because of the heat I’ve let my hens out into my garden where they can scratch and find cool shade. To my surprise and annoyance the cockerel flew over the adjoining fence and hedge, chased my girls and tried to mate with them! We managed to corner it and got the neighbour to collect it. 
Anyone know the law on trespassing cockerels? It’s no use speaking to the neighbour about it as he’s a very unpleasant man and has verbally abused me in the past.

my poor girls are now contained for fear of this happening again!

On 6/13/2021 at 4:13 PM, Honeysmum said:

My neighbour has a very noisy cockerel which does annoy us by crowing from 2am onwards but to be good neighbours ourselves we haven’t complained…yet. 
Because of the heat I’ve let my hens out into my garden where they can scratch and find cool shade. To my surprise and annoyance the cockerel flew over the adjoining fence and hedge, chased my girls and tried to mate with them! We managed to corner it and got the neighbour to collect it. 
Anyone know the law on trespassing cockerels? It’s no use speaking to the neighbour about it as he’s a very unpleasant man and has verbally abused me in the past.

my poor girls are now contained for fear of this happening again!

Don’t know of any laws, but he needs to keep his animals in his garden and contain them if they don’t stay in his garden. You could put in a complaint at the council?

You might want to take a squizz at one of the responses I posted to a thread about a non-chicken keeper trying to deal with a neighbour letting their hens range across the boundary.

https://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/topic/89328-advice-for-neighbour-of-a-chicken-keeper-please/?do=findComment&comment=1164336

In short, this would likely be a civil tort of trespass, but your neighbour failing to keep his cockerel under control would probably be legally the same as actively allowing his cockerel onto your land. I hasten to add I'm no expert, so please accept I'm including all the caveats for your double checking my opinion before acting.