Nicola W

ill hen

I have three bantams, only got them two weeks ago - none have laid an egg yet - they are around 18 weeks old - but showing signs of interest in the nesting box and sitting up there occasionally  - anyway, one laid a ‘fairy egg’ on Sunday, not sure which one, but today one of the pekins is sitting hunched, with her tail up and appears to be ‘pumping’ her back end up and down - and has a white discharge from her vent. She seems off her food, and doesn’t appear to be drinking much. She’s still occasionally preening, and pecking but mostly not very active and seems withdrawn. Is she egg bound do you think? Or could it be vent gleet? Thanks for any advice! Completely new to this so obviously very concerned! 

I can only think that maybe she is going to lay a softie - an egg with no shell - this can make them feel quite poorly, although yours are not really laying. Usually, when they don't feel well their tail is down.

Otherwise I would just keep a very close eye on her and maybe give her some nutridrops.

Hopefully someone else might have a better idea. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you - that’s good advice - been watching her all morning but might take her away from the rest and bathe the area in warm water, see if I can get a better idea. I thought it was weird that her tail is up - but she doesn’t want to ‘sit’ at all either - just a weird crouching position all the time. 

5 hours ago, Nicola W said:

might take her away from the rest and bathe the area in warm water 

If you do this you can dry them with a cool hair dryer.

It takes forever to get them totally dry but they do get very sleepy while you are doing it.

I hope she feels better soon.

• Thanks 1

Update: a much happier hen this morning - started to eat and drink later in the day and sat in the sun with the others before bedtime - much more like her usual cheeky self today - had a dust bath after breakfast, pinching food from others and jumping up on perches 😊 phew! 

• Like 3