Starbuck

Help with getting ex battery hens to use a dust bath!

Hi we’ve had 3 ex battery chickens for 2 weeks now from the BHWT.  They are getting on really well and are laying 2 eggs a day!  They seem happy and are eating well etc. We let them out of the coop for a couple of hours every night. However we have tried to encourage them to take a dust bath as they are a bit whiffy!  I’ve put a cat litter tray in the coop mixed with sand and soil. No interest. We’ve also got an old small pond container that we’ve mixed with the same components. We leave this outside the coop but they aren’t interested. I’ve picked them up and plonked them in but they get straight out again. Being ex battery hens everything is new to them, including being outside and dust baths!  I would be grateful for any tips!  

I've never had battery hens but I imagine it just takes time to learn how to have a dust bath.

I had Pekin chicks indoors with wood shavings that they loved to dust bath in, but as soon as they were old enough to move outside, they didn't dust bath for ages.

Now they have seen the others do it, and they now know where to go, they have a great time.

Maybe you could hide some treats in the dust bath ?

If you say they are a bit whiffy, could you give them a nice bath with a gentle shampoo and dry them with a cool hairdryer ?

What do they smell of ? Are you sure they don't just smell of chicken smell ?   

• Thanks 1

Hi thanks for your reply. Gosh I had never thought of a normal shampoo bath for them!  That would be fun!  It may be a normal chicken smell but as I’ve never kept chickens before it’s hard to tell. Might try treats in dust bath though!  

Shampoo bath sounds a great idea; the stink will be from their original environment, captured in their feathers. Wouldn't give too much emphasis on a dust bath at this stage: they have never seen one! They will in time revert to their natural behaviour, but it will take time so don't be impatient. They were after all bred to lay eggs and be killed afterwards; no consideration given to breeding in their natural behaviour. Well done for taking them in and I hope they will all be fine.

37 minutes ago, Starbuck said:

Hi thanks for your reply. Gosh I had never thought of a normal shampoo bath for them!  That would be fun!  It may be a normal chicken smell but as I’ve never kept chickens before it’s hard to tell. Might try treats in dust bath though!  

If you bath them, try to use a mild shampoo or a dog shampoo.

When we used to have our dog we used her shampoo and the chickens smelt beautiful afterwards - and the smell would remind me of her.

If you buy baby shampoo from a chemist, don't mention that it is for use on a chicken because they won't sell it to you.

And by the way, if you soak them all over it will take a very long time to get them dry with the hairdryer.

Just as you think they are dry you find another bit that is still wet.

• Like 1