BethanyRose

Jumped in the hay rack in the Eglu! Is it safe?

Hi, our new bunnies had a great first couple of days. They are so friendly and settled in so well. Loving all their toys and some grass time yesterday. Eating and drinking well. Lots of binkies! Using their litter tray and no poos or wees in the run hooray! They do tend to poo when they eat the hay in the rack in the Eglu go hutch/bedroom though. Do you use the hay rack in there? I suppose it saves them having to come out at night to use the potty. Although we're not using the water bottle in there as it drips constantly, I've heard they're difficult to keep clean, plus our buns are used to bowls. I've put 2 bowls in the run in case one gets spoiled. I've now moved them to a safer spot. I also have a concern that Bea (Beatrix), today jumped up into the hay rack in the hutch! Worried that if there's no hay in there she may get herself wedged. Do they only jump up if they see something secure to actually sit on? (This is when the hay was freshly full). Also the Eglu go video is hilarious. The kids putting that tiny bit of bedding in. My buns like the entire hutch as a bed, not just the 3/4 section bit. So it's all lined with newspaper and straw. The news paper was absolutely saturated though. I'd prefer them to keep the bedroom just for sleeping (not eating pooing and weeing). Have any of you taken the hay rack out? Is it removable and do you think that's a good idea? Like I say, if it's not full of hay I'm nervous they'll jump in there and get stuck.

Thanks xx

Hay racks are a bit notorious, not just in the Go. Some bunnies in the rescue are banned from hay racks as they do tend go sit in them and yes, they can get feet caught. Someone at the rescue made little wooden lids from just some off cuts to hinge on top of the hay rack to prevent them from getting stuck.
A sturdy plastic container can act as a good hay box too. 

Bunnies like to munch on hay in their litter tray. So combining a hay rack/box with their toilet is a very good idea. 

Trying them on a bottle might still be a good idea though. They are easier to keep frost free in winter.

Remember to provide PLENTY of hay. Their diet should be about 80% hay.

Thank you, yes I keep their hay topped up at all times. Some in the hay rack in the hutch, some in the toilet and I top up if I see it getting low. Fill both up full at night or if going out. The hay rack story has scared me though.  Will look to see if we can secure the top in the hutch somehow so they don't jump on top of it.