gavinsmith

Duck training???

I don't want to take them for walks or get them to fetch sticks, but i would like ducks that didn't act as though they were due for the oven every time i pop down the garden to feed them.

I've had them for almost 11months now and to be honest they dont run like mad to avoid my grasp but i feel it's a catch 22 when it comes to securing their trust as catching the can sometimes lead to a chase (causing stress to both the duck and i :x ), rounding them in to their duck house is easy but i fear they may expect to be grabbed every time they walk through the door preventing them from using it as a safe haven for nesting.

Does anyone know if i'm expecting too much or has anyone managed to get their ducks to grab the newspaper for them on a Sunday??

Any tips?? :?

Mine don't go into the eglu at night Christian - i learnt that the first night when they went in the run and i had to get inside it to push them into the eglu. I felt they should be safe at night in the eglu like the chooks but they will have none of it! i don't bother now, they stay in the run all night.

My call ducks (drakes) are quite tame and will follow me round the garden and nibble at my toes - the khaki campbell girls - despite having had them as ducklings are not as tame but they are getting better. Won't let me pick them up though! I took Kolo and Thierry (the boys) to church with me a few weeks ago to illustrate a childrens talk i was doing. They were very good! :)

I'm lucky when it comes to locking them away for the evening as they both jump out of the pond and head for the house with no panic or fuss. Although if I pop out in daylight to do the same they have no idea why I’m there!!!

I can’t find anyone who has managed to train ducks to be more 'pet like'. Although, one American site claims that as chicks you should place them in an empty bath and leave them to run around as you attempt to stroke them.... soon they'd start to realise that your hand doesn't hurt and in fact, provides the only means of escape from the bath tub from hell!!!

Sounds stressful!!

I buy my ducklings at a day old, they spend the next 3 weeks indoors, then outside during the day with heat lamp on all night if cold.

When the first two I raised where very young they always sat on my lap, and as I sat on floor to stroke dogs while watching TV they would walk on top of dogs to get on my lap, eventually they would sit in front of the TV wathcing programmes if I was not in the room with them, I also have a great photo of Dapne - now deceased thanks to foxy - peering into the open oven!

The trio I now have in the garden all follow me around, as soon as they see me in a window of the house, they run up to the fence and wait, hoping I will appear in the garden to chat to them, such time wasters, but they are the boss in the garden and will chase of all other birds, they also know thier own names and will respond when I talk to them individually!

Daisy still lives on the canal behind the house with her new friends Bill & Vera (Dark Cambells)who are fed with around 20 wild ducks and family of swans twice a day, all come when called.

Bill & Vera were bought at a year old to be friends with Daisy who was pining from the loss of her friend, as winter gets colder I will have to cath them, Daisy will happily walk back into garden the other 2 will not - anyone know of any duck catchers in Hampshire?

our ducks used to be so tame, we could take them to the local stream for a swim and home again, and as my dad likes to tell the grandchildren everytime he lays his eyes on our chickens, one evening he went up the road to our local pub and about 10 mins later low and behold in came donald and daisy (our ducks) wadling and qwaking straight up to him, he told the barmaid to keep his pint cold and promptly took them home! Ill ask him if he can give me any tips and ill let you know

i got my ducks when they were fully grown and didnt look like they'd had a wonderful life so far. they wouldnt come anywhere near me even if i was at the otherside o the allotment and moved durther away theyd jump up and watch my every move.

i sectioned off a bit of the allotment for them to live in and started to throw bits of bread in, and trying to get them a bit closer.

i eventually managed to get it so i could poke it through the fence and theyd take it off me.

They'd still keep a few foot away but were much better, i even managed to get it that id walk down through the allotments on a night and whilst before i got inside mine and they start quacking and me, wait for me to get where they could see me and runn straight inside their house, occassionally i'd have to clap and they'd go in.