Sheilaz

Chickens on the brain.

Are you obsessed with your chickens or do you just think about them all the time? :?

Was inspired by Janet admitting that she'd discussed with OH the quantity of ingredients for their dinner, based on what the girls would like, and received that sort of look we know so well.

The "she's obviously flipped but I'll try & pretend I haven't noticed".

Was watching Jonathan Ross with OH, having some quality "not on forum, or discuussing chickens" time with him.

J.Ross mentioned Prue Leith & after "Oh I like her" from OH, and "Yes, haven't seen her for a while" from me, I just had to spoil it...

Thinking of Kate's name theme, I blurted out...."Thats a good name for a chicken!"

"Prudence? Yes, it is" replied LSH.....but also managed the "can she go more than 10 mins without talking about them" look.

PS. No excuse not to have new one in June now Kate....poor LSH!

Well, between me and Ollie on about the hens all the time, I don't think poor LSH is going to get a break between now and June!! Yes, Prudence is a nice name for a hen. The children I used to babysit as a teenager had a cat of that name - very fat (the cat, not the children) from what I remember!

I think Ollie and I have come to a decision on the name of Number Three though based on your Mrs Beeton recommendation - Isabella or Izzy for short. We were going for Rose after my great grandma on one side but to keep with the famous cooks theme and the great grandma idea, Isabella fits both bills! Now I just need the flaming hen!!

As for chickens on the brain - I'm always going outside to stand in the run with them with a tasty treat or to have a cuddle with whoever is willing. With the kitchen window overlooking the back garden, I've always got them to watch so they're never far from my mind. When we're out in the car or if I happen to see a hen on TV, I can't help but shout out "Chickens" at the top of my voice :oops: .

................I'll go and lie down now, shall I :oops: ?

My OH thinks that I am completely obsessed. He came in here to see what I was up to a while ago and departed again shortly afterwards when he found me browsing the forum yet again with the comment "Everybody who keeps chickens seems to be a little mad"

As I type my three are happily strolling around the big run in the sun looking very splendid. I could happily sit and watch them all day.

Luckily Carl is as obsessed as I am. He does all the cooking and after we've eaten he usually says " Ther's some rice in a bowl in the fridge" or "I cooked a bit too much pasta" hmmmm......and "I've put a tin of sweetcorn ready - they had pasta yesterday and rice the day before - or they could have that bread that's left with some marmite, but make sure you soak it with milk"!!!

If he continues to feed the girls as well as he feeds me they soon won't fit through the Eglu door :roll:

i think i'm going insane!! i havent even got them yet and i cant stop thinking about chickens!! i couldnt sleep last night because i kept dreaming about them.....i think this is serious!! :shock:

all my friends just roll their eyes at me when i start going on about what chickens eat and so on...

jenni .x.

I am lucky too that Andy loves the chickens as much as I do! As he has low immune problems at the moment he's been advised not to have much contact with them- 'to be on the safe side'- so I do pretty much all the caring for the girls, and he really misses it! Our house is rapidly filling up with chicken inspired bits and bobs, and we too plan meals so the girls get a good variety of leftovers. we have had the girls for a year in june and will be getting a third chicken to celebrate our anniversary! so we are currently looking at breeds and choosing names too! and I dont think all who use the forum are mad as some OH's seem to say -I think its great that the humble little chicken is finally coming into its own!

Leanne love your avatar lovely and sunny just like the weather it is 19 degrees c here and the chooks are having a dust bath and getting under Jeffs feet while he trys to finish the run...............

Glad to hear you are getting a new chook it is a bit nerve racking at first watching the pecking order getting sorted but worth it in the end......Let us know which breed you choose I can recommend the Cream Legbar she is a lovely bird and lays blue eggs.............. :lol:

hi Nicola, the avatar is sweet isnt it? although a little large! but as its taken me the three weeks since joining to figure out how to put one on, it'll take me a little longer to work out how to reduce its size! i've tried already with no success, but i'll persevere. :D

At the moment I am hovering between deciding on a speckledy and a cream legbar for our third chicken, its a hard decision! and we wont decide finally on the name til we see her but we do have a shortlist!

Leanne

If you look in the Gallery at Eric's new chicken you will see that he has a cuckoo version of Cream Legbar - it looks just like a Speckledy but lays blue eggs - best of both worlds!

Look at the bird selection at www.legbarsofbroadway.co.uk for another picture. I think though that you can only collect them from Broadway -not near to where you live.

Edited by Guest

Just spent the entire afternoon gardening and what's my first comment when I finish, "The girls have had a lovley afternoon, it's the longest they've had out" . I'm shattered after trying to chose shrubs they won't eat and putting veg and herbs in containers and all I can think about is the chooks having a fun afternoon :roll: Yup obsessed.

Hi

As we (hubby and I) go along in the car, either to the next village or into Norwich etc we pass lots of farms on the way and quite a few of them let their chickens freely roam on the side of the road. When I was still at the "I want chickens and you do to, but you just don't know it yet" stage with hubby everytime I saw the chickens I would make chicken noise :!::shock: Which would then start the "Oh go on lets get chickens, their lovely" conversation going again. But now after we have had the chooks for just about four months, I still make the noises when I see the chickens on the side of the road, :roll: And to make it worse I have started doing "oink" and grunty pig noises when we pass the pig farms. :shock:

Okay off to find that dark room again me thinks!!!

Sammi :mrgreen: