herecomethegirls

One hen not laying

Without knowing what breeds they are and how old I can only guess that she has run out of eggs to lay? A very old study I came across mentioned in a book called 'Poultry for the Many', published 1918, said that chickens only have 600 eggs to lay. In my experience, sometimes it can be as low as 200 and in one case we had a very pretty Wyandotte who lived to  over 10 years without ever laying an egg.

Yes they do have periods when they don't lay, so when it's too hot, too cold, after a disturbance by a predator, or when they are moulting. Perhaps none of these apply? Basically they will only lay in an environment suitable for hatching, even if they don't (hopefully). Otherwise they will stop when they have no more to lay. 12 months old is very early for a hybrid; I'd expect 18 months, but perhaps you are unlucky? They do all look in perfect health and very happy, so no welfare issues there. Can't add any more I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 2:06 PM, Beantree said:

Without knowing what breeds they are and how old I can only guess that she has run out of eggs to lay? A very old study I came across mentioned in a book called 'Poultry for the Many', published 1918, said that chickens only have 600 eggs to lay. In my experience, sometimes it can be as low as 200 and in one case we had a very pretty Wyandotte who lived to  over 10 years without ever laying an egg.

Us female humans don’t have unlimited eggs either. 😅