Guest olivia davies

Scrambled eggs!

My gingernut laid her first egg this morning :D:D aaaahhh! Only one problem, she had laid it before I opened the eglu door and in the skirmish to get out they managed to trample it and both rushed out with yolk on their feet! Am I the first person to find a ready scrambled egg in their eglu I wonder ? :?

I am now going to have to get up at the crack of dawn :( to check and remove before they fight to get through the door both at the same time! (do they all do that or does anyone out there have polite chickens!) :wink:

Olivia

Congratulations on your first egg Olivia............ :lol::lol::lol:

There is usually an egg in the nest when ever I let my chickens out but luckily they have not managed to smash it yet, the only scrambled eggs I get are the soft shelled ones Ginger lays then it is all over the Eglu and needs a full clean out.............. :cry:

Nicola,

I have yet to experience the delights of "the soft egg" but I can hardly wait !! :?

Thanks for your congratulations Kate, I thought she was never going to "do one" !! Poor old pepperpot has had to produce enough for all of us on her own for nearly two weeks, I am pleased she has some backup now!!

:lol::lol:

Olivia

Congratulations on that 1st one, shame it didn't quite work out! Now they are both laying, you'll have lots of eggs for Easter.

We're still waiting for Chuckles, nearly 7 weeks now, but at last I'm starting to notice some changes in her tiny comb and I think we're nearly there,

Best wishes for lots of whole eggs, Olivia

Sheila,

I forgot to say, gingernut's comb has only just started to swell during the last week, so that is a good sign!!

(p.s. never thought I would ever be having this sort of conversation with someone!!! :? )

Olivia

8) Congrats on the 1st egg ... my 2 always push and shove, even before I've opened the gate of the run :roll: . I can hear them from the garage where I keep the food overnight in a black bin.

I have yet to experience the delights of "the soft egg" but I can hardly wait !!
I thought I had got away with it ... had the chooks since July 04, and 3 days ago Ginger laid a soft egg. It had fallen through the bars into the dropping tray ... and I was accusing her of not laying :oops: . She has since laid one good egg, but nothing today. So am keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow, and have put extra shell (baked) in their feed. pepper has laid as normal :P .

Good news Olivia and Nicola, many more good eggs to come we hope. As to pushing to get out, when I was first training mine to open the door for themselves they would stand politely at the door till I opened it, then there would be two heads both out the door, but no chicken bodies as they couldn't both get through the gap at the same time. Now they get themselves up and are reasonably quiet till they can hear movement in the house when they start making noise till breakfast is served, even though they have mash in the run all the time. :roll:

Oooh yes I hadn't thought of weighing it, the only trouble is I have one those old fashioned scale thingies with the weights and only have pounds and ounces so I wont know how many grams it is! but I'll try and work it out! :?

Sorry, I only work in pounds, ounces, inches and feet :cry: Kilograms, grams, millimetres and kilometers leave me completely counfounded :(

Mrs. Gingernut laid her egg (despite its size) much quicker than Mrs. Pepperpot (who lays very small eggs) who disappears into the Eglu for hours - I can only assume Mrs. Gingernut must have a bigger bottom! :wink:

THanks to everyone for their congratulations! :lol:

Olivia

.... when I was first training mine to open the door for themselves they would stand politely at the door till I opened it, then there would be two heads both out the door, but no chicken bodies as they couldn't both get through the gap at the same time. Now they get themselves up and are reasonably quiet till they can hear movement ...... :roll:

Trish...mine did exactly that at 1st....wouldn't move until I spoke to them & opened it for them...as if awaiting permission! Got it now though :D

Pleased to hear abou perfect, big egg, Olivia :D

Guess what everybody - I have just been in the garden and found my naughty black pug (Mr. Bean) :twisted: buried up to his backside in some ivy I have growing up the fence behind the eglu - I called him and he turned round - WITH AN EGG IN HIS MOUTH! :shock: (which he then proceeded to eat before I got to him) :( I looked in the ivy and found another one! Obviously that is where Mrs. Gingernut has been laying them for the past couple of days!!! Mystery solved! :lol::lol:

Olivia

Well that solves the mystery of the missing eggs just a shame Mr Bean found them first, now you know her favourite spot to lay you should be able to get the eggs before the dog........... :lol::lol:

My Babs & Ginger used to lay eggs in the hedge it took me ages to find them.................... :lol::lol::lol:

Ooh Trish, know what you mean - my husband likes eggs barely cooked and all gibbly looking! Mr. Bean doesn't care - it's food, that's all he thinks about !!